Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Possible Carbon Nanotube Idea
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 04:18
Possible Carbon Nanotube Idea

I had a idea yesterday well walking. What if instead of looking to produce single long strands of carbon nanotubes, as I have seen research on, instead effort was put into produce chain link versions; with one smaller nanotube forming a ring with many other inter twining rings. This would be similar in structure to a long chain link fence. Has this been though of before?

I image these chain link networks would be produced by synthesizing carbon nanotubes with ends that favor bonding with chemically different, complimentary, end.

Consider if a carbon nanotube batch (1) having ends A and B, batch (2) ends C and D. These batches would be mixed together in equal ratios and forced to bond A to B and C to D. Some of these tubes would fold up, caught in one another. By using two different batches, or maybe even dozens, one A binding with a different nanotube's B would be avoided, thus producing smaller rings and more links. Thsi process would be repeated many times to keep adding to the network, with unbinded nanotubes being washed away.

I image a flaw with this design would be the links having a weak spot, the A-B or C-D binding site.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 08:01

That would be Carbon Nanoribbon chanmail, yes?

This is the closest i could find, really intresting subject;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycatenane

And here is some more on interlocking molecules:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_interlocked_molec...
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 16:56

It never ceases to amaze me the extent of human imagination. If only it was not so often than not matched by the contrary.

[Edited on 27-1-2018 by VSEPR_VOID]

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked

Go To Top