Author: Subject: Super toxin?
Levi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 13:10
Super toxin?

Quote:

From the March 2007 Reader's Digest:
Just outside the high-pressure ER of fictional Seattle Grace Hospital, home of hit ABC show Grey's Anatomy, George O'Malley is about to make a stupid but believable mistake. As the doctor--played by T. R. Knight--sticks a needle in his patients arm to draw blood, a drop falls unnoticed onto a piece of gauze. Instead of containing the waste, the doctor hands it, along with the blood sample, to a nurse, who passes it along to a lab tech. Suddenly, chaos erupts as everyone becomes woozy and collapses.
The episode being filmed comes from a real-life case in Southern California: A woman undergoing chemotherapy ingests some kind of herbal remedy, and the combination emits toxic fumes from her body, causing her attending doctors to pass out.

O RLY?
This sounds way to unrealistic to be true, but the Reader's Digest is pretty reputable. Any ideas what this super gas could be? HCN and H<sub>2</sub>S came to mind immediately but I have trouble believing such extreme toxicity even with these agents. Surely, nobody with blood that toxic would be in need of a doctor as much as a mortician.

Chemcrime does not entail death. Chemcrime is death.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 13:35

What kind of chemotherapeutic agent? That covers a lot of territory.

And what kin of herbal remedy? That also covers a lot of territory.

Nobody died, or at least we aren't old anyone died, so maybe toxin is the wrong word.

Something biologically active, perhaps.

Answers? all we have so far are questions.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 17:14

IIRC, the vicitim had consumed (or applied topically) large amounts of DMSO, and had measurable dimethylsulfate in their blood. Perhaps this was causal?

Eh?

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 17:38

Yeah Ozone, I made a thread on it sometime back when in the thread on making dimethylsulfate. I remember it pretty well, it was on one of those medical incredible shows.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 18:07

Topical DMSO = horse linament.

Smells like garlic. Or more precisely it makes the individual reek like garlic. That's probably what affected the attending.

DMSO is MeS(=O)Me

Oxidizes to dimethyl sulfone. Methyl groups are on the sulfur.

Quite differently:

Dimethyl sulfate is an ester of sulfuric acid and methanol. The methyl groups are on oxygen, or more precisely, those are methoxy groups on sulfur and not methyl groups. In vivo that will hydrolyze and is both a potent methylating agent and a source of free sulfuric acid in tissues, very nasty.

MeOS(=O)2OMe

I don't see how to get from DMSO to dimethyl sulfate either in vivo or in vitro.

Or am I missing something?

[Edited on 27-2-2007 by Sauron]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 18:23

I've always thought it seemed a little far fetched but the story was highly publicized at one time.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&re...

http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-95/features/analysisofato...

http://www.gasdetection.com/MDS/m092198.html

http://tafkac.org/medical/toxic_lady_faq.html

Etc. etc. Search 'Toxic Lady'

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 19:28

I am aware of the differential betwixt DMSO, the sulfone and DMS (sulfate not sulfide, which is just a stinker). I never made sense of the metabolic transformations then, either. But... It was the only thing I could remember about that particular scenario.

Anyhoo: http://www.gasdetection.com/MDS/m092198.html

Condemned as the source of the mysterious fumes, Gloria Ramirez achieved immortality as the "toxic lady."

...an explanation was found--by ...famed Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. .. Dimethyl sulfate, which is cited in scientific literature as a chemical warfare agent, was created by an unusual confluence of chemical reactions.

...Ramirez used DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide)... DMSO is metabolized to become dimethyl sulfone, which was found in her system, likely produced by the administration of oxygen by paramedics.

When attendants drew blood from Ramirez in the emergency room, the relatively sudden and sharp drop in the temperature of her blood--from body temperature to the cool air of the hospital-- could have created dimethyl sulfate, the lethal compound. Her body temperature was too high to allow creation of the deadly compound internally.

Witnesses at the time said they saw crystals in the syringe containing Ramirez's blood, and scientists now believe those crystals were the source of the mystery fumes.

The step of creating the lethal toxin from the benign dimethyl sulfone was performed at Lawrence Livermore...

There has to be more to it than that (I mean hell, it would be a redox process, that is, besides the temperature, another party needs to be involved)?

Flavor crystals?

Eh, again?

O3

[Edited on 27-2-2007 by Ozone]

--Albert Einstein
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 20:04

Crystals in the syringe?

DMS is liquid.

To get from DMSO to DMS by whatever mechanism, you would have to break C-C bonds, oxidize the -S=O to sulfuric acid and then come up with some methanol somehow... Maybe Lawrence Livermore should stick to H-bombs.

I just don't buy it. If this woman had DMS in her system (which would have fucked her up for sure) then maybe the stuff she applied was DMS and not DMSO. Or, it was DMSO contaminated with DMS.

For years I have been warning people in a particular subculture who sometimes employ DMSO procured from veterinary sources, of the danger of the similar sounding dimethyl sulfate. Generally I am scoffed at for my troubles, just as I am all too often about the hazards of the "violet wand" Tesla coil (people think it is static electricity when it is really RF AC HV which is not so benign.)

If LLNL can explicate the supposed reaction path in vivo for DMSO -> let them do so. Till then I am definitely from Missouri on this one.

(If she applied DMS or DMSO contaminated with DMS, she should have had burns on skin, see Sartori's THE WAR GASES for acute DMS exposure effects.

If she had DMS in her blood she really would have been a DOA, and the proposition that a reaction was more likely at lower temperature than at higher temperature makes no sense thermodynamically in wither chemistry or biochemistry. Except maybe by some competitive-inhibition process.

Show me.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 20:12

I wonder if what had happened was she had been using DMSO, and had gotten a new greymarket batch where someone had screwed up and gotten some dimethyl sulfate. Either she got a bottle of pure DMS, or it had been mixed in with DMSO and divided up.

Chemical supplies have long been targets for 'discounts', even for chemicals that aren't in demand forthe illegal drug market. Large hospitals that got potable ethanol in drums would lose it rather fast, when a new drum was opened a portion was to be run out immediately to created vapor expansion room before the tap/pump was put in place. Somehow that runout always was several times as large as it was supposed to be, and never got into the hospital's normal containers (someone I knew in school told me about this, they were a major party supply contact...). Drums of DMSO have 'walked away' at times. I could see someone coming across a shipment or shelf that had a bottle of dimethyl sulfate, misread it as DMSO, look around and see no one was watching, and grab it to later sell as DMSO. Some detectivework on other deaths in the area around that time, and into reports of stole lab supplies should be in order.
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 20:15

Ah,

So you got my joke about the crystals! I have been trying to find that LLNL report, but to no avail...hmm.

I have to admit that my morbid curiousity has the best of me again.

Good night,

O3

--Albert Einstein
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 20:19

I always thought the symptoms sounded more like diazomethane poisioning. Some sort of nitroso compound in the trash bin reacting with something else dumped on top of it...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 21:14

@O3 old pal, I am not doubting you, just this wild tale of woe. You are an honest broker of info, and just as mystified as I.

Sulfoxide to sulfate is, well, nonintuitive is the polite term.

A less polite term come to mind. :)I can see getting to the sulfone in vivo, just an oxidation.

But an insertion of two oxygens into two Me-S bonds?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 23:29

Quote:
The episode being filmed comes from a real-life case in Southern California

Oh... it is in California :D. No need to discuss this any further over here, a whole other thread is devoted to that subject.

If for a certain chemical the LD50 is 1 gram in the rest of the world, then it is 100 ug in California. Every chemical is 10000 times more toxic, when it is in California ;).

[Edited on 27-2-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 11:18

That "toxic lady" story was a hoax set up by the hospital in order to hide the reason why the pacient died. There use to be a news report about it. I'm not sure but I think I saw the link on this forum. Obviously there is absolutely no way for DMSO to transform to dimethyl sulfate, either chemically or metabolically.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 12:14

What a relief.

I'd hate to have to burn my books on sulfur chemistry.

Medical malpractice and institutional coverup. these are workaday matters.

The other is just through the looking glass.

Did LLNL get suckered into this? How?
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 17:22

Thanks, Sauron!

My guess... $$$.

I can think of no other reason how dimethylsulfone can surreptitiously become the sulfate (metabolically). Amazing what a catalyst $$$ can be!

I wish I could get some,

O3

[Edited on 28-2-2007 by Ozone]

--Albert Einstein
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 16:18

Quote:

GE developed a 3-barreled .50 cal version but it was never adopted

just have to jump in.... on the gatling diversion...
if you have any leads on that technology we are working on peacuful gatling devices in the machine shop....
ive written "big companies" a futile endevour...

ive heard that aerosol guns are coming up.... an aerosol gatling gun would be very engaging

second I have seen copious pictures of technolgies that "are not adopted"
awsome things, like the 1960's pictures of electric eel expirments.
russian breifcase parabolic cookers... stuff that you need /want.... its a shame....

Go To Top