Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storage of Conc. NaOH
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 22:18
Storage of Conc. NaOH

I know that NaOH (especially when boiling hot or molten) can dissolve glass at a very appreciable rate. How does glass fare against highly concentrated room temperature solution (10M) in the long run? I was wondering if you get a sodium silicate barrier that does not dissolve further (similar to the storage of conc. H2SO4 in metal canisters wheras dilute solution would liquefy them in a hurry). The reason I ask is that I went very out of my way to make a standardized solution today (using all the good analytical lab procedures that I never bother with) and am currently storing it in brown glass. I probably will not use this solution much and do not need it to eat holes in the container and spill everywhere after a few months, though it is quite thick and probably would not "spill" so much as ooze. :P

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 22:26

You need an appropriate plastic bottle. Look up some resistance charts.

I have 500mL of 1M stuff forever sealed in ground glass pennyhead stoppered bottles. Need to do something with those at some point...

Also some 50mLs of 50% stuff that has really thickened as a result of storage in a small glass bottle. It is useless as a reagent now, so I am just seeing how much it affects the glass. So far the glass does seem a bit thinner, and the NaOH solution is as thick as warm honey.:o

[Edited on 8-4-2007 by The_Davster]

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 23:37

Warm honey?! :o Quite a scary thought. Mine might look like honey too since it's in brown glass.

Anyway, I've swapped out to a heavy walled Nalgene brand HDPE bottle and watered the stuff down to 4M since that should also slow chemical attack. Right now, that's the best I have and from what I can find, looks like it will hold up for a while.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 09:09

Yes, as Davster pointed out. Why don't you try storing it in a resistant plastic bottle. Try cola bottles and see if they work :D.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 09:35

HDPE is good, polyolefins are effectively mineral wax - long chain hydrocarbons, not much for alkali to get a grab onto.

Soft drink and juice bottles are PET, an ester; like monomeric esters strong base will hydrolyse it.

ref on resistence of some plastics
http://simport.sogetel.net/en/charts.php

The only real problem with polyolefins is that carbon dioxide will slowly diffuse through them and react with the hydroxide. The rate is affected by the thickness of the plastic, and usually isn't a significant problem.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 21:52

Is there really a problem with 1N or 2N NaOH in glass? I would think the 50% might yield sodium silicates of various compositions but not 2N ...where can I read some hard data on this?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 04:33

I once stored sodium hydroxide (10% or so) in glass bottles, but in the course of a few weeks already the glass was attacked a little (it was matte, somewhat milky). Simply do not store NaOH in glass bottles, even fairly dilute material attacks the glass. The glass will not break within a few weeks, but the NaOH will be spoilt and not be suitable for experiments anymore.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 04:59

I can't find the reference, but I remember that glass not be used for storing hydroxide stronger than 2N.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 06:47

Catalog Number: 153495, 199465, 1688145
Sodium hydroxide

Structure:

Molecular Formula: NaOH

Molecular Weight: 40.0

CAS # 1310-73-2

Synonyms: Caustic soda-beads; Soda lye; Sodium hydrate

Physical Description: White powder or clear, colorless solution

Solubility: 1g dissolves in 0.9 ml water; 0.3 ml boiling water, 7.2 ml absolute alcohol, 4.2 ml methanol; insoluble in glycerol. The dissolution of sodium hydroxide in water is a highly exothermic reaction. Sodium hydroxide stock solutions should be stored in plastic containers. Glass containers should be avoided in the preparation and storage of sodium hydroxide solutions because it will etch the glass (typically anything over 2 N will etch glass). Keep solutions protected from air as much as possible since contact with air will form sodium carbonate.1

Description: A caustic reagent which is typically used to neutralize acids and prepare sodium salts of reagents.1 Sodium hydroxide is a common reagent for the adjustment of pH in buffers. It is also used in production of pulp and paper, soaps and detergents.

Sodium hydroxide is also used in:

o The Maxam-Gilbert DNA sequencing technique.2,5
o An RNA gel blot procedure for simultaneous transfer and fixing of RNA to a positively charged nylon membrane.4
o The decontamination of mycobacterial isolates.3

..............source,

http://www.mpbio.com/product_info.php?cPath=491_6_41&pro...

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.

Go To Top