Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to get 10% off @ RWV...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 00:59
How to get 10% off @ RWV...

Ya'll know who this is... I've changed it around to help keep it secret.

Get on their website, go shopping. Leave your stuff in the cart.

After a couple of weeks, they will drop you an email with a promo code for 10% off.

Simple as that.

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 03:30

I have never used that company.

As far as I know they don't sell anything I can't get elsewhere.

But thanks for the tip.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 04:44

Their prices on a lot of stuff ain't too bad and they take orders from private individuals... so that right there alone is worth the money.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 07:19

I got rather bummed out recently dealing with a US distributor (Cole Parmer.)

Last year I purchased a used Labconco glove box on LabX and exported it from San Francisco along with a pair of neoprene glovebox gloves. No problems at all with US Customs.

The gloves however were unserviceable, a couple tears had occured back near where they mate to the flanges. So I ordered a replacement pair from Cole Parmer through their Thai agent. Other items ordered at same time showed up as expected in c.6 weeks but not the gloves. The agent promised me they would be 30 days more, said they were lost in transit.

A month went by and finally the agent fessed up and told me that the US government was demanding an export license for the gloves. Now I know for a fact that the Defense Dept and the State Dept do not give a damn about these neoprene gloves (though they might about Hypelon or butyl.)

I'm an American in a major non-NATO ally country and this sort of BS irritated me no end.

So I cancelled the order.

Subsequently I determined that a friend of mine in Europe has a family business, run by his brother, and they are the second largest manufacturer of glovebox gloves in the world. So he offered to get me two pair free. I was going to pay Cole Parmer's agent $500 for 1 pair so two pair for free is a good deal. Furthermore the European company has these things manufactured in South East Asia in a country adjacent to where I am. They will be delivered to me from that location.

So, FUCK the US Commerce Dept or whoever imposed this stupid reg.

If neoprene glovebox gloves are so sensitive a product why did US Customs not raise a finger when I exported them along with the entire glovebox, I'd like to know?

I dount that they are really an issue, I think Cole Parmer was being overzealous. Anyway it PISSED ME OFF! and so I am not going out of my way to do business with any more American distributors when I can avoid it.

Photo of the Labconco unit below. The fiberglass body is intact, the gasket around the 1/4" (maybe 3/8") plexi is airtight, the electricals work. I have to run it on 110V with a stepdown but that is not a big deal. Not bad for $350 (of course by the time I shipped it first to California then across the Pacific and paid duty and VAT and broker fees, I have about $1200 in it. But still. Go price a new one.)

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by Sauron]

286405-0.jpg - 37kB
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 18:09

@ Sauron

Thats funny , no really , that you have trouble obtaining something as trivial as
gloves when you can get locally hydrazine by the jerry can. Perhaps five years
back at the tool aisle of a discount department store I bought Mil Spec surplus
gloves at 69 cents a pair plus sales tax. Granted that these are now 20 years
old this month but they are still servicible in their original unopened package.
Items much like these , of new manufacture are available these days from any
99 cent store.
A glove is a glove , if it has a bead around the open rim , for the bezel to clamp
and it is only slightly smaller than the box opening , its a good fit , since neoprene
will stretch slghtly , but bigger is a problem since it will cusp. Other than that it
should be long enough that you can clap hands easily inside , you can use a tongs
to move things out of reach. Mind you I have not used a glove box but you make
it sound as if these things are so special nothing but original equipment will
substitute. ( think like a russian )

Obtaining your equipment peacemeal from here , there , hither and dither is going
to cost you and not just in dollars but white hairs , as you already have indicated.
Have someone in the U.S. as an intermediary to receive and then consolidate several
items into a single shipment for you as do many immigrants from foreign lands that
send " care " packages to their families back home. Carribeans avail themselves of
such shipping companies , that at a set fee you can drop off a 55 gallon plastic
drum full of unspecified goods to be delivered to the foreign land along with all the
others in a common cargo container along with refrigerators , washers , whatever ,
nobody ever checks stuff leaving the country anyway , unless you draw attention
to it by the label you put on the maifest. Even if a manifest is called for , labeling
something as plain rubber gloves is hardly a deception providing its plausible.
Iraq and Iran have been getting restricted items this way since forever.

CB Gloves-.JPG - 115kB
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 01:37

I buy a lot more used than new in US and my most recent transpacific shipment was 1250 Kgs of HPLC equipment. I do consolidate in USA. We accurately describe everything, usually with HS codes included which makes lazy Customs inspectors very happy. My internediary in Ca. is a professional importer and can't get involved in misrepresenting anything, nor would I ask him to. In the case of the neoprene gloves I do not believe there ever was any real issue wuth the USG, I think Cole Parmer has an overzealous clerk on staff.

I use a glove box for anhydrous or inert atmosphere work, running at slight positive pressure with dry N2 or Ar from a cylinder.

I do not use it for containment; but if I did it would be at slightly negative pressure instead and vented to a scrubber in the hood.

A good hood is a much more comfortable place to work. Mine is twice and width and almost twice the interior height of this box. But when you need a bone dry or inert atmosphere there's little alternative.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 02:29

Sauron, how hard is it to import chemicals into the USA?

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 11:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
My internediary in Ca. is a professional importer and can't get
involved in misrepresenting anything, nor would I ask him to.

Absolutely maintaining a sterling reputation is foremost. I'm not suggesting that
anyone resort to smuggling which is illegal. In the same sense that tax evasion
is illegal yet tax avoidance is not. Bribes are often deductable as " finders fees "
and slush funds declared as " petty cash ". A glove box could be called veterinary
equipment detailed as a mouse incubator for mice devoid of immune systems.
The point here is that the label avoids the usual classification such that it won't
meet the definition of any known equipment therefore not be the subject of
scrutiny.
How it is packed for shipment also matters. Fully assembled and functional small
arms certainly call attention to themselves , but several shipments of disassembled
innocuosly termed gun parts or " miscellaneous machine parts " packed in sawdust
are easier to avoid close inspection. Mind you this method is almost too obvious
and the inspectors are the first to be aware of any new technique and take the
pejorative view of anything with a dual use. The B.A.T.F. regards such practice
as a loophole and for this reason may actually draw more attention than something
legally sanctioned. It's all in the turn of a phrase. After all didn't a former president
say " I did not have sex with that woman ".

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 17:04

The glove box was declared as a laboratory glove box, and the thing was sitting steel-banded on a pallet covered in clear sheet plastic and in plain sight. Zero subterfuge.

BATF has nothingto do with exports, not even firearms exports, which are the province of the State Department, and enforcement of the ITAR is Customs turf. BATF controls imports jointly with Customs (for firearms). At least that was the state of play twenty years ago when I was a licensed arms manufacturer and exporter, I really do not know how the bureaucratic pie is sliced up these days, nor do I really care since I am long since retired.

My point was, we declare lab equipment properly and accurately. My froend, because he has to, and me, because I have nothing at all to hide and nothing to gain by playing games. As I said" I'm an American in a country that is formally classed by the US DOD as a major non-NATO ally.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 17:13

@evil lurker, I do not know. Probably very easy, as long as the chemicals are not proscribed.

That is to say, you may have more trouble with compounds on the CWC, Australian Group, and US lists of CW related stuff; DEA listed compounds (and elements!) etc.

I bet you will face all sorts of HAZMAT rigamarole that I can only imagine.

I never imported chemicals to USA, and here I rely on commercial lab-equipment and chemical importers to do this for me.
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:10

the promo code is "SGNTN"
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 14:38

Hey evil lurker;

VWR will give you 20-30% off the catalog price after you open an account with them.

Your sales rep may not tell you this so make sure you ask for the discount and don't accept 10%.

The discount on chemicals is more than on equipment especially on the VWR brand.

Nobody, except the uninformed, pays catalog price.

Go To Top