Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phenol from Light Sticks
hashashan
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2007 at 02:47
Phenol from Light Sticks

Just read the thread about the so called "glowing tomatoe" and one of the links caught my interest. It was written that a by product of the sticklight after it finished glowing is "Phenol". Is there any way to extract it form there?
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2007 at 10:56

I'd doubt there would be enough in them to make it worth the effort... And all the other crap in there would make extraction tedious..

You can dissolve in a non-polar solvant, wash with water, then with a basic solution, wash the basic extarct with non polar, and then acidify the aq. and extract product with solvant.. it will surely not be pure and in small quantities..

PS: I think I recall some people saying you can find phenol in some kinds of desinfecting solutions... Have a look, it might be more interesting..

[Edited on 22-8-2007 by Klute]
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2007 at 11:36

There are phenols in light sticks, but not necessarily phenol. Substituted phenols are used in many of the compositions, see http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa031703a.htm for examples.

If you want a small amount of phenol itself, the decarboxylation of salicylic acid may be the simplest route.

[Edited on 22-8-2007 by not_important]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 22-8-2007 at 15:43

I was at an antique store today. I saw a bottle of lysol from the 40s(?). Ingredients: phenol. It had reacted with other ingredients, the remaining product was a black ooze that reeked like phenol.

Go To Top