Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Department of Homeland Security proposing anti-terror regs worse than anything DEA ever dreamt about...
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 23:23

Germane, not germanium. Germane is GeH4 (germanium tetrahydride). I believe it is similar in structure to methane and burns to produce similar products (of course replacing C with Ge).

Still, it's only mildly toxic. The only thing I can think of is that it might self ignite under certain conditions. Then again, so can methane. Oh, well, go figure.

[Edited on 2-3-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 01:17

GeH4, like SiH4, would be obtained by fusing Mg with Ge or Si in the absence of air, and hydrolysing the powdered silicide or germanide product with an aqueous acid. Small amounts of the higher hydrides, such as Si2H6, Ge2H6, Si3H8, and Ge3H8, are also produced. Because of the possibility of attack by oxidants through empty 3d or 4d orbitals, they are much more reactive than CH4, and indeed instantly burst into flame on contact with O2, producing the solid dioxides.

[Edited on 2-3-08 by JohnWW]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 02:50

The tetrafluorides of silicon and germanium are on the list, I presume, because they are presumptive fluorinating agents.

SiF4 is a gas. As S.C.Wack pointed out recently, sand, fluorspar (CaF2), H2SO4 and a little heat get you SiF4. I think they will have a hard time keeping the Arabs from getting hold of sand, even in substantial quantities.

I would have thought that germanium would be too costly for such nonsense.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:56

What always baffles me is how they make these lists. There must be chemists who actually cooperate in this law making process, because we all know lawyers and economists don't know shit about chemistry.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 08:42

I would guess they (DHS) set up a committee, and call upon chemists from the forensic labs associated with their component agencies, plys maybe guys from Edgewood (Arsenal) and the Navy and USAF equivalents and maybe the intel community for technical expertise.

Maybe they also rely on contractor advise like from SAIC and MITRE etc. They may draw up a number of candidate lists and then kick them around.

There may be (DOJ) lawyers around, and economists who might comment on the legal background and the extent to which industry might kick up a fuss. But you are right; they wouldn't know how to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions printed on the sole.

And in the end, they generate a product that like all committee-made things, resembles an elephant that was supposed to be a horse.

For another example of such a process read the Chemical Warfare Convention sometime.

Ugh.

In this case it is pure make-work for DHS agents and to hell with impact on industry and academia and science. The morons are marchine, the Luddites are in charge, and a new dark age is dawning. Let the games begin.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 00:22

"But you are right; they wouldn't know how to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions printed on the sole."

Where do you get this hilarious shit!? Nothing better than a good laugh.

"and a new dark age is dawning."

I agree, however, every time I say that to somebody they are completely dismissive and insist that no such thing could ever happen. What's funny is that many people think that a new dark age will be complete with tyrannical kings, castles and soldiers wielding maces and plate armor.

History is likely to repeat itself in this respect, especially if the current trend of "dumbing down" society and supression of science and new ideas continue. I have much more to say about this (this is a very brief statement of my thoughts and beliefs on the matter) but it's late and this is niether the time or the place.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 01:08

It's nice to to discover that there are people who haven't heard that sort of venerable old quip before. The one about piss from a boot, was old when Christ was a corporal, as they say in the Army.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Split
17-11-2012 at 16:45
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top