Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diethyl ether on pulic transport
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 14:22

I don't understand how you'd transport it though, as you don't live in Siberia and it isn't even winter yet. :D

Jokes aside, if you use a metal container rated for the vapor pressure of dimethyl ether at more than the temperature in UK trains/buses/trams at this time of year, then I wouldn't have any problem with being on the same vehicle as you. If you use a solution of dimethyl ether in another solvent that doesn't start outgassing dimethyl ether even at temperatures just slightly higher than ambient, then I'd also have no problems with that.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 22:23

Thanks for that.
Any other opinions?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 00:20

How much, what type of transport, and what region? I'd say a train/tube in London would be quite different to a local bus route up north, but I'm sure you're aware of that anyway. Can you not drive/get a lift with it? How far are you intending on taking it.

At the end of the day, I'd rather not risk it, but thats just me. If its packed appropriately it should be no worse that a propane/butane lighter refill or can of deoderant/hairspray/other pressurised container.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 04:53

@unionised Are you being sarcastic? I genuinely can't tell.

Assuming you aren't, diemthyl ether boils at -24°C, so it probably has a vapor pressure of several atmosphere at 20 °C. I would transport it in a gas cylinder designed for it. (Not some contraption involving ice and/or pipe fittings and a valve). So in a way such that I cannot be held accountable for an accidental failure of the container. Like a propane cylinder for a blowtorch.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 10:56

*bikes past, a gallon of muriatic acid on each handlebar*

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 05:41

Get an uber

Edit--seriously some of the replies border on hysterical.

It's fine to take a small amount (<L) in any glass bottle. An empty wine bottle would suffice.

Why the fuck would you be searched?? You're not a Palestinanian travelling to Israel for work daily from Gaza (if you are it's unlikely you would have the internet anyway, but if you are perhaps don't travel with the ether).

[Edited on 18-10-2018 by Panache]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 06:57

Honestly I'd totally do this. A glass bottle of ether upright in an opaque backpack, inside an air-conditioned bus on a day with pretty mild weather? I don't see what could happen, but you know your scenario better than I do. I hope you're not prone to dropping things. Maybe put it in some secondary container with an ice pack alongside if you're that worried.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 13:18

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  

Assuming you aren't, diemthyl ether boils at -24°C, so it probably has a vapor pressure of several atmosphere at 20 °C. I would transport it in a gas cylinder designed for it. (Not some contraption involving ice and/or pipe fittings and a valve). So in a way such that I cannot be held accountable for an accidental failure of the container. Like a propane cylinder for a blowtorch.

Well, people transport it on public transport every day.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/268375047

So, why would someone worry greatly about the much less hazardous
diethyl ether?
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 19:00

When I saw your first post in this thread about DME, unionised, I assumed you'd bring up this stuff.
Quote:
INGREDIENTS:Water (Aqua), Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40 B (Alcohol Denat), VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Crosspolymer, Amino Methyl Propanol, Sodium Benzoate, Cyclohexylamine, Triethyl Citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance (Parfum)

Sure, it's dissolved in water and a bit of alcohol, but once it leaves its pressure vessel, it acts rather dimethyl-ether-y.

[Edit]

Better yet, ask what people would think about taking 50L of a flammable poisonous solvent mix (involving toluene, heptane, xylene, and butane, among other nasties) on the bus. Not sitting between your legs in a glass bottle, mind you...

It all really depends on how well you have secured your HazMat from leaking/burning, and how well other passengers think you've secured it. Be careful with safety, and use discretion around other (probably chemophobic) passengers :D

[Edited on 20-10-2018 by Vomaturge]
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 19-10-2018 at 19:57

If you're travelling in Toronto or that Chinese city whose name I forget most likely then the bus you are on is fuelled with dme.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-10-2018 at 14:49

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  

Well, people transport it on public transport every day.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/268375047

So, why would someone worry greatly about the much less hazardous
diethyl ether?

Well its a commercial aerosol can, so there is no liability for whoever is carrying it if it breaks. What I was imagining was someone using a makeshift container to transport a liter of pure dimethyl ether, which could turn out really badly. (i.e. not a commercial cylinder intended for that purpose).
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 22:55

[edited] Obscenities removed. There was not much left.

draculic acid69, please do not do this again.

[Edited on 27-11-2018 by j_sum1]
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2018 at 21:30

Apologies let me reword it.there isn't as big an issue as your making out just put the ether in a coke bottle tighten the lid put it in a bag or backpack and catch your bus and then your train.its that simple coke bottles are pretty much leakproof and the only thing I've found that destroys them is sulfuric acid.don't worry about it as much as you are.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top