Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: help with halohydrin formation....
gorecore
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always cool...

smile.gif posted on 19-12-2007 at 12:07
help with halohydrin formation....

hi everyone...i'm since wow...a lot of time...because i wasn't able to do it...(broke computer)...well i'm back...and i need help for a reaction...

i know the normal halohydrin reaction, but in this case i need the other product (in the square) in a higher yield.....someone please can help me to find a way to improve the characteristics of my reaction, or helping me with some article in which i can take some ideas...or a book...

thanks so much
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 13:55

You will always obtain the "preferred" product as the major product (assuming the gamma position is a methylene). If you are ready to do a column chromatography for a reaction yielding something like 10-20% selectivity of the "other" regioisomer and you don't mind the X=Cl than do a chlorohydrine. Their formation is the least regioselective and will give you the lowest regioselectivity (which is what you want as I assume).
But do you mind explaining the next step (the substitution with R-NH2)? How are you going to do that when the nucleophilic substitution of both halohydrines always yield the same product composition? In your case this would be the other regioisomer with the amino group at the terminal position: -(CH2)n-CH(OH)-CH2-NH-R. So, if the reason you want the "other" halohydrine is because you are not familiar with the mechanism of the nucleophilic substitutions at halohydrines, then rather reconsider and find another, possibly working synthetic route.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
gorecore
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always cool...

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 14:35

well thanks...for the advice...but i'm very aware of the mechanism, also the products that i can have in my reaction, this is more like a dream...haha...because i already have another method of synthesis for the compound with the NHR, and the yields are good, but i was looking something a little bit more quick and hopefully with better yields than my first method, recently i was reading some books and articles of asymmetric halohydrin synth...but they obtain products as these with low yields, also i was looking for some aminohydroxylation reactions of olefins....and those were looking more interesting...

thanks for your help...

Go To Top