Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Teach `em Young!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 05:17
Teach `em Young!

I just thought I`de share a Candid picture I took today in the Lab, this is NOT a setup! this is Really what we do when Mommy is out at the gym or shopping or whatever...

she`s only 2.5 :)

do you Involve/Teach your kids Science, and have any pics anecdotes or opinions?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 06:49

Hehe, nice.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
microcosmicus
Hazard to Others

Mood: spin up

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 11:25

Yes! This is exactly the age at which to first introduce kids to science.
Even though she might not know an anion from an onion, chances are
she'll be intrigued by the stuff boiling in the flask and the liquids
changing colors, thus sparking a lifelong interest in understanding
the workings of the physical world.

I got my first exposure to the world of science when I was knee
high to a microscope ---- here are some highlights.

When I was 4 years old, my dad would bring in discarded televisions
and other electronic equipment. We would dissect them to see what
was inside. In retrospect, I see that this is an excellent activity for
children and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Looking under the
cover will dispel any notions of electronics as mysterious black boxes,
substituting the real magic of electromagnetic theory for superstitious
notions of electronics as modern-day genie bottles. Also, I
remember Graf's book of safe and simple electrical experiments,
having fiddled around with electroscopes, electrostatic pinwheels,
electromagnets, etc. at a tender age. By the time I got to high school,
I learned the basis of electronics and amassed a sundry collection
of coils, capacitors, tubes, transistors, and other electronic components
and having fun with the high voltage department of mad science.

While I was starting school (first or second grade or so), my mom showed
me how to compute areas and volumes. That got me started on my
mathematical career --- in a few years, I was reading books from the local
library and used bookstore, culminating with teaching myself calculus in
the summer after the eighth grade. I pretty soon began my career as a
research mathematician by exploring the properties of numbers and other
abstract systems for myself.

Between the chemistry set and a chemist uncle , I got started on that
subject. Pretty soon, I had my lab and a darkroom set up in the basement.
Even though I may not pursued it professionally (officially, I am mathematical
physicist with general relativity theory as specialization but my interests are
quite broad), I have certainly kept up an interest in it, as my participation
here attests. Also, now that I moved back to the part of the world where I
grew up, I am slowly in the process of turning that juvenile lab into the real
thing. I'll be sure to post more here as lab construction proceeds and I
acquire a proper place to perform experiments, as opposed to jugging
test tubes on the kitchen table.

Generally speaking, most of the toys I got when I was a kid were science
related (a fact that really hasn't changed as I grew up ;) ). I also have
fond memories of a shopping trip to Edmund's when I was small and of
my dream of having a laser (which came recently came back in spades
when I found a cache of laser pointers in the local dollar store --- time to
build some funky optical devices (e.g. interferometer) and eventually try
laser pointer holography
(http://www.buildcoolstuff.com/gallery/holograms.html) ).

Based on my life experience, I would also recommend reading biographies
of scientists to young children as my parents did and having pupils write
reports on the lives of scientists as my math teacher did. This shows the
human side of science, gives exposure to what doing science at an
advanced research level is like (as opposed to what one gets in the
classroom) and presents quite a different cast of role models from the
usual parade of politicians, athletes, and celebrities.

While I do not have children and the teaching I have done is in the
university as opposed to the elementary school, I have found a way
to "give back" for these opportunities via the internet. I am quite
active in the PlanetMath community ( http://planetmath.org ), having written
something like 5% of the encyclopaedia as well as being up to my
knees in the administration and business end of that project. Websites
like that one and this one have the potential to help kids interested in
science by providing information, mentoring and community.

Glad to see the mad-scientist-in-training and am already looking
forward to reading her posts a dozen years or so from now :cool:

P.S. If you haven't done so already, consider showing her the Golden
Book of Chemistry Experiments when she is ready for it --- it is now
available online via chemistry.about.com (which also has a lot of
other useful stuff for kids).

Are you calcining a blackboard eraser on that tripod?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 13:49

YT, that is a very nice pic, it makes me smile :)
I have shown the pic to my wife. She told me you should be proud of your daughter :)

We now have three kids (almost 12 years, almost 10 years, and a newborn baby), and I also on a regular basis do experiments with the kids (not with the baby :P). I started doing that when they were 4 or so. I have shown them many nice experiments, such as adding a solution of acidified KMnO4 to a solution of Na2SO3, or adding a solution of BaCl2 to dilute H2SO4. The simple color changes and precipitations. The kids really love this kind of things.

Now, when they are a little bit older, I let them do experiments on their own. I purchased a C3000 chemistry set and this is for the kids. I separate my own lab from the kids (it contains too dangerous things, such as high voltage equipment, really toxic chemicals like SOCl2 and Br2).
Our oldest daughter now also is interested in the theory behind the experiments. I explained a little about atoms and molecules and that if a chemical reaction occurs, that atoms are rearranged. At that level she perfectly understands.

Most important indeed is to raise interest. The most succesful activity I had with the kids in this direction was an experimenting and chemistry party. When our oldest daughter became 10, her party was arranged as chemistry party. I let them make volcanos from paperpulp, NaHCO3, vinegar and some orange food coloring, I let them make 'secret writing ' with dilute K4Fe(CN)6 and made this visible by spraying dilute FeCl3 on it. Finally, i let them blow up balloons by putting in some NaHCO3, some NaHSO4 and adding a small amount of water. The kids really loved this kind of activities. Finally I did some demo experiments (dissolving a coin in conc. HNO3) and igniting a pyrotechnic mix by means of a magnifying glass and sunlight.
This party was very succesful, and I even received positive comments from parents. The kids were talking about it, and the parents gave positive feedback on this as an original idea and a very good and educating activity.

[Edited on 11-1-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 15:16
Teaching

You should be very proud ! Many of today's kids will never get "hands-on" lab experience
due to liability concerns. I'm proud to say that wasn't the case for my 14-year-old niece.

She did the same experiment as a school project that I did as a requirement in chem lab.
She, and her putz lab partner, weighed out Mg ribbon, and cooked it a crucible - also weighed.
The lab partner improperly handled, dropped, and broke 2 crucibles ! Of course the
experiment involved the oxidation of Mg to MgO with some Mg3N2 as an intermediate.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 21:34

For my daughter's 7th birthday we did a "harry potter" theme (gag!). So I did a "potions" class with all the kids - glass "cauldrons" with red cabbage juice in, plus a range of things to chuck in that would change the colour, fizz, and stink. The kids thought this was fabulous. That party was the talk of the school for a year.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 22:02

While I do not have kids, nor am I married, I have had the opportunity to do experiments for youngish kids(high school and the ocassional one much younger, which I find more rewarding) through my university. Every year when the university does its 'open house' where the general public is invited to come see what each department is about, I volunteer to preform chemistry demos for an event. It is always a great time, usually involving vast ammouts of LN2, which has long since lost its madscience vibes to me, but it seems to entertain others.
I also contribute ideas and chemicals to a friend of mine, whom preforms chemistry demonstrations on the local television station. I would like to be on myself, but I know he is far better of a television personality.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 05:31

Quote:
Originally posted by microcosmicus

LOL, Nope :D

it`s a 300 fin alu heatsink, it gets a little cold in here and there`s no Active heating plumbed into the house, so this makes a very nice convection heater.

my Daughter points at it and says " Bunsen burner, HOT... Dangerous!"

I`m in the process of finding the space in here to put up a little shelf for her, she has several books already, a 10 vol series about different sciences and Making things, especially for kids, we have a glass tank in here also (you can just see it in the pic) with "Things we find in Nature" inside it, different rocks and leaves and berries and shells etc...
I did have a rats skull complete with teeth, but I can`t find it??

we have Wheat, Barley and Rye growing in 400ml beakers, and we frequently go through all the herbs and spices in the kitchen smelling them, she even Wafts! rather than nose-in-bottle :cool:

and of course, this can only get better over time as we expand into more grown-up things and make Kites and water rockets and things that require some planning.

it`s comforting to know that she won`t be Entirely subjected to this Watered down, Dumbed down, scared of our own shadow excuse for education rife today in most schools, she will at least have a Chance!

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 06:53

Very nice to see young children learning chemistry.

Well I myself am still a kid (turned 15 yesterday) and I also started early (with the age of 3). Wen I was 5 years old I got my first real equipment (glass test tubes, beakers, measuring cylinders...). Bu then I was still to young to work with real chemicals so I mixed paints. Then I stopped being interested in chemistry but at the age of 12 I started again. But now I got real chemicals. With the age of 13 I started to work with more dangerous chemicals (bromine, nitric acid, sulfuric acid, ammonia, chlorine, benzene, heavy metal salts, dichromates...) and started to make things that go BOOM (AP was the first). With the age of 14 I became interested in metalworking along with chemistry. So I started to cast metals (first time I cast lead was with age of 11). Brass, bronze, copper, aluminium, zinc and lead. I also weld and cut various shapes from metal plates with angle grinders. And also I started to make small and large cannons using homemade BP and whistle mix(not alone, but with some friends). But I didn't abandon chemistry, only reduced it. And that was when I first started to nitrate things (nitroglycerin, methyl nitrate, ethylene glycol dinitrate, nitrobenzene). I was lucky that the chem. teacher supported my hobby and gave me and my friend who is also interested in chemistry (and also has a home lab) most of the dangerous chemicals (including picric acid). And we are respected for things we do (especially explosives). And as I see in america kids that like science are considered geeks and most of them hide their hobby:( Now until the end of winter I will do experiments and then I will stop for some time to rest because If I do something too long I get tired from it. But later I will continue:). Winter is the best time because I live in a tourist area so I cant blow things up at spring or summer but now in winter there is a little people here I live and they know what I do.

The earlier you start, the better!!:)

YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 07:09

well I can assure you we will NOT be "blowing things up"!
she will be taught Properly and within the Law (we do after all want to KEEP this Lab and it`s equipment).

you can teach about Energetics in good and interesting ways With OUT having to make a nuisance of yourself or destroying things or breaking the law, be certain of this!
the same way you can teach Nuclear Fision without having to make a reactor, besides a box full of loaded mouse traps and ping-pong balls is tons more Fun :)

[Edited on 12-1-2008 by YT2095]

chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 07:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Zinc
And as I see in america kids that like science are considered geeks and most of them hide their hobby:( The earlier you start, the better!!:)

Interesting, so what your saying is this is not true in Europe? This has been going on since the 1970's and I figured it was global. I mean it is a base mentality that those unable to grasp technical concepts would jealously lash out. And being a large number, a mainstream cultural persecution of sorts.

Fellow molecular manipulator
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 11:00
Mouse Traps

YT, I went through several chemistry sets growing. I also remember the pin pong ball
and mouse traps setup for demonstrating the chain reaction. That's clever way
to demonstrate that process ! :D

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 14:05

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
Quote:
Originally posted by microcosmicus

LOL, Nope :D

it`s a 300 fin alu heatsink, it gets a little cold in here and there`s no Active heating plumbed into the house, so this makes a very nice convection heater.

Hehehe .....I have done almost exactly the same thing
as a sort of "chill chaser" in the work area , with a large
Meker burner and I just open the valve nearly all the way
until there is about a foot and a half long 3 inch wide blast flame coming out the top ( have to be careful of the ceiling , even at 12 feet :D ) .....and in about five minutes the whole
room is nice and warm :D
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 14:35

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
you can teach about Energetics in good and interesting ways With OUT having to make a nuisance of yourself or destroying things or breaking the law, be certain of this!
the same way you can teach Nuclear Fision without having to make a reactor, besides a box full of loaded mouse traps and ping-pong balls is tons more Fun :)

Yes you can but there is much less fun in that. By blowing things up I didn't mean destroying someones property or something like that. I always take something that is my property and go far away from populated area (except for small explosions, 9 ml test tubes filled with AP) and blow it there up. I NEVER destroyed something that is not mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
Interesting, so what your saying is this is not true in Europe? This has been going on since the 1970's and I figured it was global. I mean it is a base mentality that those unable to grasp technical concepts would jealously lash out. And being a large number, a mainstream cultural persecution of sorts.

I cant say for the whole Europe, not even for my country. But I can say that it is so in my place. At least it is in my case. And in the school I go it is mostly like that. A lot of kids that live in the town I live are interested in technical or scientific hobbies. There are cases of someone being considered a geek but that is mostly because someone really is a geek (learning 100 hours a day and getting all 5 which is equal to your A in all tests and still doesn't have a clue about the practical side of life). Geeks learn all the theory but they have no idea how to apply anything they know in real life. I only like experiments and I mostly don't care for the theory behind it. For me it is enough to know mix A with B in a ratio X:Y to get C. Why it happens so is not of my interest. My mark in chemistry is 3 what is equal to american C.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-1-2008 at 11:09

Quote:
Yes you can but there is much less fun in that.

I don't understand this. Why is chemistry only fun with explosions? Energetics can be really interesting, also without the need of exploding 9 ml tubes. Synthesizing really interesting energetics (there are many examples over here at sciencemadness) is a fun on its own. And then one can test the power of these things with 50 to 100 mg quantities, no need to use grams.

I teach my kids to not blow up things. I teach them that chemistry is fun, in many different ways (nice colors, unexpected effects, luminiscence, electrolysis, bubbles etc. etc.).

[Edited on 13-1-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 13-1-2008 at 12:44

If you need 9ml to see an explosive effect you need a classier material! Now when single crystals or fractions of a drop can detonate with brisance...stuff like tetrazoles and alkyl perchlorates...those inspire awe... AP, not so much.

Electroylsis and the hydrogen 'pop test' is one of the simplest experiments, and safe for any age, I know I was electrolysing with a 9V battery various solutions long before I even had my science courses covering the difference between a mixture and a solution:P, meanwhile I was self learning the metal activity series.

I do admit, when I got my first chemistry set, it bored me. Far too many white precipitates, which I considered uninteresting. I believe I electrolysed every tame chemical I got in that set with a 9V battery however.

I think it is important to show kids as many aspects of chemisry as possible, if I had just seen precipitates and solutions, I would have lost interest in chemistry, but 9V batteries and pencil leads hooked me. And later seeing a nitrocellulose(at a magic show) demonstration and flame colous of metal salts in elementary school hooked me again.
Every kid has a certain trigger, otherwise they end up in video game oblivion.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-1-2008 at 15:11

Interesting you say, davster, for me it was also NC that my brother made (hehe he had my mum buying the acids at the pharmacy, and I was there as a little boy, and still remember the fuss they made... but they gave it nonetheless) which ultimately was the trigger for the interest in science. Then the electronics kit I got for christmas, and also this certain oxidising weedkiller a friend obtained... you are right, there are triggers, and I found mine, or rather, it found me :D

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 13-1-2008 at 15:44

My son is 6 and he has sadly fallen into the video game trap. I would love to show him chemistry but his Mom is so overprotective and such a fear monger that I really think she would report me to the authorities for "drug cooking" or endangering the welfare of a child, no matter how mundane the experiment may be. This position sucks.

I was happy to see that he thoroughly enjoyed the (heavily illistrated and some pop-up) books I got him on human anatomy and space exploration. I haven't seen many chemistry books he might find interesting, any suggestions? But as far as showing him actual experiments (or even just chemicals) I am afraid.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 13-1-2008 at 17:44

Well, to keep with the theme of this thread, mind as well encourage the youngsters to sport the safety apparel:D. This is Carol and she is 2.9 years old;).

[Edited on 1/13/2008 by chloric1]

Safety First 2.JPG - 118kB

Fellow molecular manipulator
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2008 at 03:16

Indeed, my Daughter has her very own pair of Safety Goggles as well as clip on filters for Laser demos.

she`s also constantly washing her hands as she`s seen me do it so many times, she`s like my Shadow and follows me everywhere! :)

halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-1-2008 at 04:59

"When I was 4 years old, my dad would bring in discarded televisions
and other electronic equipment. We would dissect them to see what
was inside. "
Same here! That's really a great one.

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 16-1-2008 at 14:11

I, as some others, am lacking in children and wives. Not quite my thing just yet, perhaps in 10 years I'll have some new stories for this thread.

Science had always been my thing since as long as I can remember. My grandma taught me to paint ceramics, and how to thin the paints, and what finishing spray went with what materials. The thing that really facinated me was kilning and glazes. How it could go from this very fragile solid (greenware), probably something similar to dried dirt, to this incredibly hard solid (bisque I think), was beyond me. How the glazes went on as a pasty white liquid, and came out with an amazing barage of color I loved. My parents had also gotten me many science sets. Of course growing up in the 90's, the majority of the good stuff was on it's way out.

I'll be the first to admit, when I got back interested in science, specifically chemistry, in the late 90's I was not of the best intentions. Kewl is a term that would not be far from the mark. I was one of the lucky ones to have more of an intelectual mind. Reading continuously, wanting to know why, rereading everything. I think this is one of the major reasons I stayed safe and still have yet to have any sort of injury past minor cuts and burns. Of course my interested started off in the higher energy fields, but partially thanks to this board were steered a bit more traditional directions. Right now, I am hoping to get a research position in inorganic synthesis. Throughout all my experimentation with high energy compounds, I can honestly say I never "blew up" anything. The chemistry and synthesis was the real draw to me. Sure I did some hammer tests, but that is the extent of it. I am quite involved with pyrotechnics at the current, as some may know due to my running APC. It has it's booms and what not, but for me it's a way to combine the chemistry and science I love with the art my grandma taught me when I was young. My canvas happens to be a bit larger and much less likely to be broken by dropping it on the floor.

I worked at a physics lab a few years ago doing a bunch of stuff. Everything was incredibly interesting. One of the things I would do is an afternoon a week we would have a bus of kids come in, 5th grade or so. We'd talk about science, radiation, light, etc. Of course the favorite of everyone was freezing things with LN2, and smashing them with a hammer. They even loved getting to see me pour the excess out on the ground after the class thing. I'd get to give them tours and answer questions and everything. Seeing the look in their eyes, the pure interest in science, really took me back. They gave up a week of their summer to learn about science. I really wish I could have done that back then. THey were about the exact age when I was getting my interest back into chemistry.

[Edited on 1-16-2008 by Mumbles]
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top