Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Translating the forum UI into various languages?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 15:24
Translating the forum UI into various languages?

Since the forum UI has only 1 language, I think some of us could help translate it into various languages?

[Edited on 181025 by fusso]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 15:33

Seriously?
There is so much here that it would be a mission just to read it all let alone translate.
If anyone specifically wants something translated (usually from another language to English) then they are quick to ask for those things needed. Or they load it into Google translate or get an expert onto it.
I really don't see the need.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 15:36

have you an idea of the amount of work? this forum has hundreds of thousands of messages, it would take ages to translate in even in just one language. if someone can't understand english well enough he can simply translate the whole page with google translate, it's not the best, but it's way better than translating by hand the whole forum.
not a feasible idea...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 15:55

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
have you an idea of the amount of work? this forum has hundreds of thousands of messages, it would take ages to translate in even in just one language. if someone can't understand english well enough he can simply translate the whole page with google translate, it's not the best, but it's way better than translating by hand the whole forum.
not a feasible idea...
You misunderstood my statement. I mean only translating the forum UI, not the posts, just like changing windows UI language won't also change your files into another language, and you definitely don't want the OS to autotranslate your files.

Ubya
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
not a feasible idea...
You misunderstood my statement. I mean only translating the forum UI, not the posts, just like changing windows UI language won't also change your files into another language, and you definitely don't want the OS to autotranslate your files.

if you meant this then it's even more useless, what's the point of translating for example the subforum titles when everything else is in english? if someone has difficulties reading english, being able to read the title of a subforum but not any thread in it wouldn't be of any help

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 16:21

not a feasible idea...

if you meant this then it's even more useless, what's the point of translating for example the subforum titles when everything else is in english? if someone has difficulties reading english, being able to read the title of a subforum but not any thread in it wouldn't be of any help
Not the language problem, but cordial feeling. Cordial feeling. Just assume English is your 2nd language and you're fluent in it. Won't you feel intimate/hearty/warm when the UI is in your native language?!

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 16:30

Well, Ubya does have English as a second language. And, if I understand him correctly, he uses this site to help his English as well as his chemistry.

Most forums restrict to just one language. It keeps things transparent. It is part of the standard for the site. Having the forum itself OKn that language is a way of communicating that stamdard.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 17:27

Hey, good news everyone! I've been setting up phpBB and added German, Spanish, Dutch, and French to the UI languages. All new users default to English, of course, but if you get into your profile settings, you can change the language of all the UI-based text. None of the board titles or posts would be in languages other than English, but like others have said, it's better to keep it that way, to make sure everyone is aware that English is the lingua franca here.

If you're signed into the phpBB boards, this link will take you to the page where you can change language settings:

http://35.185.63.230/talk/ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=personal

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 00:26

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Hey, good news everyone! I've been setting up phpBB and added German, Spanish, Dutch, and French to the UI languages. All new users default to English, of course, but if you get into your profile settings, you can change the language of all the UI-based text. None of the board titles or posts would be in languages other than English, but like others have said, it's better to keep it that way, to make sure everyone is aware that English is the lingua franca here.

If you're signed into the phpBB boards, this link will take you to the page where you can change language settings:

http://35.185.63.230/talk/ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=personal
No Asian languages like Chinese & Japanese:(
I think I can help translating these:cool:

[Edited on 181026 by fusso]

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 03:11

I prefer SM to be in one language only - English.

I can not imagine the chaos of multi-lingual conversations,
and I see no benefit in a welcome in your chosen language then having to read and write in English.
There are enough English literate people to keep SM active.
plus
SM is not a shining beacon of political correctness - and it should never be.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 06:42

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
I prefer SM to be in one language only - English.

I can not imagine the chaos of multi-lingual conversations,
and I see no benefit in a welcome in your chosen language then having to read and write in English.
There are enough English literate people to keep SM active.
plus
SM is not a shining beacon of political correctness - and it should never be.
Can't you not connect this thread to politics?? Can't you not put my thread into detritus?? And why are you misinterpreting my posts?? Don't you understand English???:mad:

@Melgar: Sulaiman thinks adding new languages is political correct. Therefore, to make SM more politically incorrect, please remove those languages.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 06:53
Thank You

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 07:37

No Asian languages like Chinese & Japanese:(
I think I can help translating these:cool:

The problem is that characters used by Asian languages sometimes have a hard time fitting in the space that a theme allocates for text. In any case, I chose UI languages based on what languages members have said that they speak.

Having options to change your UI language settings hardly seems like it'd change anything significant here, and it's really just a convenience thing. It took all of a few minutes to add support for it.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 07:42

I think I may have a solution that some larger websites use. Basically Its an auto translation so that everything typed in any language will show up as a persons language that is choosen in the settings. If someone typed something in say german it would appear as english for a user with english set as their language and vice versa. This probably would be relatively easy as it is just text being run through a translation service. It obviously wouldnt be perfect but it could be pretty cool/useful.
Ubya
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 09:06

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson  
I think I may have a solution that some larger websites use. Basically Its an auto translation so that everything typed in any language will show up as a persons language that is choosen in the settings. If someone typed something in say german it would appear as english for a user with english set as their language and vice versa. This probably would be relatively easy as it is just text being run through a translation service. It obviously wouldnt be perfect but it could be pretty cool/useful.

solving misunderstandings would be a nightmare

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson  

solving misunderstandings would be a nightmare
Is there ways to make the translate machine to only translate the UI, not the posts?

And to clarify any misunderstandings: when did I ask anyone to write posts in languages other than English??

Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 09:18

It probably could be made to only translate the UI
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 12:55

I think you are trying to solve something that is not a problem.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 13:18

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I think you are trying to solve something that is not a problem.
Yes, that's not a problem, it's only some features I want.

Go To Top