Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boltzmann distribution
qw098
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 14:52
Boltzmann distribution

Hi guys,

I have a system of particles in different energy levels. I know how many particles are in each energy level.

I was wondering how I could find out if the distribution of these particles was in a Boltzmann distribution or not?

Thanks!

In other words, how do I determine if a distribution is a Boltzmann distribution or not?
qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 07:06

All I am given as data is: That the system contains 38 particles with three equally spaced energy levels (0 J, a J, and 2a J) and I know that the population distribution is: A(18,12,8).

How do I determine if this is a Boltzmann distribution or not?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 08:02

Wikipedia on the Boltzmann distribution has enough of a description in its first equation for you to determine yourself that your problem statement is ill-posed.

Is this a homework problem?
qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 08:38

Thank you for the response Watson.

No, the question is not a homework question per se, just a question I found on the internet when reading about the Boltzmann distribution, and probablity.

Well I know that equation on Wikipedia quite well Watson. However, to know if my data fits that equation/distribution, would I not have to know the partition function and other quantities like temperature?
qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 17:52

If I find the ratios of the adjacent energy levels and they are the same then it is a Boltzmann distribution. So if given N0,N1.N2. Then N1/N0 should = N2/N1 . Is my thinking correct?

Yes, I am about 100% sure this is correct!!! Thanks everyone! I understand this now!! :)

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by qw098]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 19:08

Construct a Chi-Square Goodness of Fit Test

1. Fit the distribution based on data (method of moments or maximum likelihood).

2. Per the fit, calculate the expected # in a multi-cell partition of the distribution.

3. Tabulate the actual observed in these cells.

4. Form the sum of squares of the differences between actual and fitted. Divide by the degrees of freedom (function of the data set and the # of parameters estimated for the postulated distribution). This is the Ch-Square variable. See if significant at the 5% level (so called selected Type I error). I would also be interested in the Power of the Test (1- Type II error).

Possibly more powerful modification: Calculate a statistic of the distribution (like the ratio of adjacent energy levels) for which you can compute an expected value to compare to your observed statistic. Perform the same Chi-Square Test, but adjust the degrees of freedom as you are no longer consuming degrees of freedom to estimate parameters of the distribution.

Good luck.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by AJKOER]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 20:22

Quote: Originally posted by qw098  
If I find the ratios of the adjacent energy levels and they are the same then it is a Boltzmann distribution. So if given N0,N1.N2. Then N1/N0 should = N2/N1 . Is my thinking correct?
This is true only because the energy levels you specified are an arithmetic sequence, that is, E<sub>2</sub> - E<sub>1</sub> = E<sub>1</sub> - E<sub>0</sub>. In that case, the occupation numbers for each level must then be in geometric sequence, as you've observed. Only for this case, they form a Boltzmann distribution for any temperature.

If you want to really make sure you understand this, show that any three energy levels and occupation numbers form a Boltzmann distribution at some temperature, as long as the occupation numbers decrease with increasing energy. Hint: express a family of functions with parameter T, then use the zero-crossing lemma.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 20:26

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Construct a Chi-Square Goodness of Fit Test
Statistical tests have absolutely nothing to do with the stated problem, which is posed with exact data and asks if it matches an given functional form for some values of the parameters of the form.
qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 14:49

Thanks Watson!

I will indeed try that!
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 16:57

I don't believe something will ever follow the boltzmann distribuition perfectly, besides confined bunches of electrons or protons.

Sorry its meant that atoms will not come into any even closely sharp boltzmann distribuition because of lasing effects, therefore you can't tell how many particles of the ensemble are given for a determined energy level. You will need a spectrometer of some kind.

[Edited on 3-6-2012 by Poppy]

Go To Top