Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DIY carbon electrodes
smeesh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 13:52
DIY carbon electrodes

hello everyone.

ive been doing some work lately concerning the conductivity of charcoal.
ive been able to produce my own conductive charcoal using just oak fire wood, but it appears to have a relatively high resistance...or something. i can make an arc between the electrodes using a 4KV transformer. small sparks are possible using a twelve volt power source.

i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to improve my electrodes

thanks
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 13:54

Why not just get carbon electrodes from batteries like NurdRage did, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knc1lSupAwQ&feature=plcp

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
smeesh
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 14:06

i enjoy having the ability to make them. the same reason i would prefer to build a potato cannon instead of buy one. because it/they will be mine:)
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 14:15

Fair enough.

What power supply are you using? What resistance do these electrodes have? Check with a multimeter . . .we can then hopefully calculate what current they will pass through them using Ohm's Law.

TMK, the user 'woelen' does a fair amount of electronics stuff . . .he should know a bit more about this kind of stuff.

How did you form the shape of the electrodes?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 13:53

I don't know how he would do it, but I would probably turn several different woods down on a lathe, all to the same diameter and length to fit in my charcoal retort(Stainless steel stock pot) then fire that puppy up! When it stops emitting gas and vapors, pull it off the fire and let it cool. Opening the pot after a firing is like opening presents on Christmas morning. I know, I'm easy pleased, but hey, you gotta take where ya find it.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 14:28

Carbon powder, pitch and patience already give my high quality carbon based anode plate, similar to industrial one. make a mix of pitch and very fine carbon powder, lets it dry in the shape you want your anode. then pyrolise it like you pyrolise wood. Now the anode will be made of porous carbon, dilute pitch with a solvent, impregn your anode and lets it dry. Pyrolise it and repeat the process until you get hard carbon without porosity, when you are on your last impregnation the pitch need to be very diluted.

I never asked for this.
smeesh
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 20:52

sorry it took me so long to get back on guys. thanks for the input.
the process with the pitch and carbon powder is one i had looked into previously, and i have reason to believe it will be a good path to take. im using a 12 volt power source.
plant, if you could describe the process you mentioned in a bit more detail i would greatly appreciate it. or if you have a link.
i have some pitch...just nasty wood vinegar basically...but itll work.
ive worried about reheating my charcoal powder because my retort is not very well sealed. some minor leaks anyway.
thank you fellows very much
smeesh
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 21:00

plante,
after re-reading you post i understand the process you have described. the use of the term "impregn" threw me off lol...i will try this.

falcon,
i did a similar procedure using a retort that was fashioned out of a 2x6 inch black steel pipe with end caps...with a small hole in one of the end caps to release gases.
it works well, and has produced mildly conductive charcoal. so you are spot on good sir

Go To Top