Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Butane Dilemma!
smeesh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 15:47
The Butane Dilemma!

I am thinking about pressurizing a drip irrigation system using butane. i wish to do this because i assume the pressure within the system will remain fairly constant as water levels drop.
Is there any way that the butane could contaminate the water, damaging the plant?

thanks guys

Irritating typos removed

[Edited on 11-1-2013 by ScienceSquirrel]
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 17:04

Well, it does have a small solubility in water, but it's an alkane so I wouldn't expect it to do much besides evaporate.
However, I don't think I understand your idea. Are you thinking to use a vessel filled with entirely gaseous butane as a pressure tank? If so, why not use a conventional pressure tank filled with air?
Or are you planning to use a mixed-phase system where there is a reservoir of liquid butane, the vapor pressure whereof determines the system pressure? In that case, are you planning to control the temperature of the butane vessel closely? Because otherwise the changes in pressure induced by temperature swings are going to be substantial.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 19:14

Butane changes pressure greatly with temperature, does mix with water, and is pretty flammable. While I'm not sure how exactly you are going to use it, I can't recommend it.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 05:29

The worst problem is not the butane itself, but the added smelly compounds. They are probably toxic to plants, and might also put some parts of the dirt into anoxic state because of the reductive sulphur compounds which they are. Anoxic state promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria. Most vegetables and plants will die because they can't live in dirt that smells like rotten eggs.
Of course, if the gas phase of your pressure system is not close to the actual dripping point (for example a 10+ metre hose), there'd probably won't be any problems with the toxicity.

What's wrong with air? I know the air tanks are a lot more expensive, but hey...

Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 06:06

I use butane for some things, in sealed vessels (and rarely left to boil away into the air) and purchasing it in small quantities (about 500mL at a time), it can be purchased without detectorants.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 06:39

An advantage of using air pressure is that the water will be oxygen rich when it hits the roots, increasing growth and speeding bud formation if they're flowering . . .
Are you doing Indica or Sativa-dominant, BTW?

Go To Top