Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Creating Thermal Reaction with Silica and Aluminum Oxide
jaspereliot
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 10:37
Creating Thermal Reaction with Silica and Aluminum Oxide

I would like demonstrate several dry thermal reactions for my class and would humbly like to ask you for some advice/assistance:

The one I am most intrigued by involves mixing silica with aluminum oxide. (Is anyone familiar with how that's done? Are there any experiments written up on how to demonstrate it?)

Is this silica the same type used in silica gel packs for moisture absorption in food packaging? Does anyone know of any good sources to locate aluminum oxide in powder form?

I would also be open to any other compounds that might also produce a thermal effect, but they should be relatively safe to handle and use.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 12:34

What is your proposed reaction between SiO2 and Al2O3? I don't see how that would do anything.

Perhaps you were thinking of thermite? Silica and aluminum powders make silicon and aluminum oxide, releasing a lot of heat. Adding a heat booster like sulfur is required to make the reaction go to completion - see my video on <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73YmP_JSrlU">thermite from sand</a>.

If you're willing to do thermite-type reactions, there's a whole world of those - the classic being iron oxide (rust) and aluminum. If you perform these reactions, do them outside or in a fume hood and have spectators stand well back. Stay under a few hundred grams if you aren't experienced in this type of reaction.

Go To Top