Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Science Classroom donations
charneski
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 15:51
Science Classroom donations

I'm a new Science teacher at the Pace Center for Girls in Immokalee FL. These girls are at risk youth, which is a nice way of saying their lives have not been normal to say the least. Anyway my girls don't have much in the way of rewarding life experiences and I try to find simple experiments, science demonstrations, anything to enrich their lives. They are my grandkids and I'm asking for a little help. I am starting an element collection and have gotten a few samples. I am putting them in small vials and am going to Velco dot them to my Periodic Table wall chart. Please nothing too toxic or radioactive.
I plan on super gluing the lids on for safety. Here is my list of elements I have. I have the highlighted ones, both green *I found and yellow **donated.

If you have anything you think I might be able to use please feel free to email me at either mark.charneski@pacecenter.org or charneski@yahoo.com

Attachment: List of Elements.docx (11kB)
This file has been downloaded 319 times

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 16:04

tell one of your kids to try to find a pre 2000 canadian quarter for 99.9% nickel.
charneski
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 16:25

Thanks, the Canadians do visit FL, but frankly my girls would run across Pesos...
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 18:31

If you need any simple labware for the class, let me know. I have been selling some labware that I ended up with, some might be suitable for a middle or high school.

I still have some basic glassware as well as some plastic ware like bottles and petri dishes, which I am selling, but I can offer you some items for just the cost of shipping. I would only ask for a receipt for the donation. I might even be able to find a few element samples also.

Bob
charneski
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 17:42

Thanks Dr. Bob the receipt is no problem. I have lots of petri plates, beakers, test tubes, bunch of graduated cylinders, one test tube holder, one flask. I recently bought a science hot plate to heat solutions in the beaker so we can measure various boiling points of solutions...

Ideally, I would like a distillation set up so the girls and I can do low temp extraction of oils from flowers using isopropyl alcohol, then so they can make their own perfumes. I need to get the facet adapter for the rubber hose, and of course rubber hose..

I do not have a hood or Bunsen burner, so I don't want to do any to high temp. extractions. Anything you want to send is fine. Let me know if you need the address or you can Google Pace Center for Girls Immokalee FL. That way you know I'm real and get to see the girls you are supporting.
charneski
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 17:49

Address:

Mark Charneski
Pace Center for Girls
160 N 1st St
Immokalee, FL 34142

About PACE Collier

Current Stats
• 104 girls served in 2010-2011

• 100% live in neighborhoods with higher than average crime rates

• 20% used drugs and alcohol prior to coming to PACE

• 14.9 years old: average age

• Current enrollment is 58 girls with a short waiting list

2008-2009 Outcomes
• 98% of girls enrolled in PACE increased their academic functioning by either moving to the appropriate grade level, raising their GPA or increasing their academic testing scores

•98% of girls enrolled in PACE did not engage in criminal activity and the juvenile justice system
•98% remained crime free one year after transitioning from the program
•75%of girls were in an educational setting or employed three years after transitioning from the program

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 06:57

Some of the easier element sources I've used for my own collection:

- Incandescent light bulbs are a great source for an element collection. The filler gas is usually argon. The filament is tungsten. The support wires the hold up the filament are molybdenum. To collect the gas, put the bulb in a ziploc bag full of water. Break the bulb (be careful to not tear the bag) and collect the bubble of gas trapped in the bag. Depending on the skill level of your kids, that might be something neat for them to do.

- Americium: There's a chamber inside smoke detectors that says "do not open." If you open it, there is a small button of AmO2 that is the heart of how the detector works.

- Boron: I made boron from boric acid roach killer, and you can see the process here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QBCyOrjR2o
It requires a number of other chemicals, but none are all that hard to find (except maybe powdered magnesium and KMnO4). That was a very fun experiment.

- Chlorine: Very easy to make with many different reactions, but tougher to store safely and in high enough concentration to be visible. Probably tough to make in a school-type setting, with safety concerns and all.

- Hydrogen & Oxygen: Both of these gases can be made with electrolysis of water. That's a great experiment for kids - very safe and illustrative. You can do the appropriate gas tests on both the gases after they are made, which is neat to see in itself.

- Noble gases: I assume you know how to get helium, just haven't went to a birthday party recently :) The rest of the noble gases (except radon) can be found in various types of "halogen" light bulbs. I have small flashlight bulbs and "circuit board lights," for lack of a better term, that are filled with neon, xenon, and krypton.

That's a great thing you're doing, and it sounds like you're really making a difference. Best of luck to you in the program, and hope you have as much fun building an element collection as I have!

[Edited on 6-10-2013 by MrHomeScientist]
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 07:23

Since when is astatine a noble gas? Pretty sure its a halogen.
Did you mean Radon?

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 08:11

I did, of course. Edited to fix that.
charneski
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 15:26

Thanks for the tip. I got Ace Hardware to donate a fire detector which I promptly disassembled...

I'll work on collecting different light bulbs for their guts as well.

I was actually hoping someone might mail me .5-1 gr. samples.
Thanks for your support.

Mark

[Edited on 10-6-2013 by charneski]

Go To Top