Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PETN
ashokagrwaal
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

cool.gif posted on 26-9-2013 at 07:58
PETN

Hi, I am a lawyer, practicing in India. I am engaged in arguing an appeal before the Delhi High Court. The case involves alleged seizure of PETN. My questions pertain to this case. I have a deadline of Saturday, 28th September 2013 as the appeal comes up for hearing on Monday, 30 September. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the natural colour of PETN?

2. Can PETN turn brown under any conditions? If yes, under what conditions?

3. If PETN can be (or become) brown, can it turn back to its natural colour/ off white/ yellow? If yes, under what conditions?

4. Can one say Ammonium Nitrate and Suphuric Acid are ingredients used to synthesize PETN?

5. If the answer to the previous question is yes, will residues of Ammonium Nitrate and Suphuric Acid be found in a batch of PETN (granules or sheet)?

6. If PETN is found in combination with Ammonium Nitrate and "Acid", can they be called adulterants or contaminants?

7. Does PETN react with Ammonium Nitrate and Suphuric Acid even after it has been synthesized?

8. Can PETN turn brown if combined with Ammonium Nitrate and Suphuric Acid?

9. Can PETN that has turned brown (assuming it has) turn back to off white/ yellowish?

10. Can PETN that has turned brown ..... etc, turn back to off white .... even if it continues to be mixed/ contaminated with Ammonium Nitrate and Suphuric Acid?

11. Is there any explosive that is naturally brown/ dark brown in colour?

I extend my deep appreciation and thanks to this community, in advance, for any help that they may extend to me.

Ashok Agrwaal
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 08:23

I thought PETN was a whit crystal red fuming nitric acid is used to prepare it but sulfuric acid and ammonium nitrate could I guess be used to generate nitric acid in theory...if not properly washed yes residue of sulfuric acid could remain all over the glassware and final product...
as for the colors I honestly don't know ...hope this help the case

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 09:23
[topic closed]

<a href="viewthread.php?tid=19143">
Quote:
On the other extreme, being a professional scientist and a paid researcher does not mean that you can not have honest amateur interests and participate in the discussions. However, in such case avoid abusing SM for solving problems related to your job, problems which you are paid to resolve. You can take it as a noble cause to teach what you learned to others who are in need of such knowledge and your efforts will be much appreciated.

Take notice that discussions motivated by commercial interest and greed have no place on an forum for amateurs.
</a>

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
26-9-2013 at 09:24

Go To Top