Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: few questions about AP/HMTD/ETN
underground
National Hazard

smile.gif posted on 10-10-2013 at 23:17
few questions about AP/HMTD/ETN

Hi there :), i have some questions AP/HMTD/ETN and any help would be valuable.

To start with AP/HMTD, i would like to make them more storage and stable than they are, so my idea was to highly dissolve them somewhere and then you have to use that one liquid as a primary, making then more stable and less sensitive, like MEKP, but i really do not know were these salts are highly soluble, and if this is actually going to work.

To continue, ETN as i have seen is a very good choice of explosive, as long as has many advantages... it is storage and stable for a long time, has a high VoD close to RDX and it does not need 98% nitric acid like RDX, it is solid, it has a positive oxygen balance and it can be detonated at high densities.
So, taking into account the last two advantages, i would like to know if there is any known composition for casting ETN (like 80/20 ETN/wax, or whatever) that very high densities can be achieved...
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 07:52

Hi

I can only tell from HMTD, but this stuff istn soluble in water and ethanol, so it seems a bit hard to find something to diossolve in
i let my HMDT open in my freezer, so that if sometghing happens, it just burnes and i havent the danger of detonation
but you COULD store HMTD in pure ethanol, it SEEMS to make HMTD much less sensitive to friction/shock, but i dont know if it could react with the ethanol over a long time period

at ETN: Sure you could cast it, but i wouldnt do that if im not wanting to commite suicide ;) please dont do this :o

80 to 20 sounds like crap, cause ETN is only a "few percents positive" in the Oxy-Blanace (~+5) , so go for a mixture of around 1-7% of carbon containing stuff (like wax) and phlegmatice your explosive (it will be a bit less sensitive :) and can be compressed -a bit- )...or use some liquid explosive, to optimice the total density of the compound - like Nitromethane or much better EGDN (that would make a high dense slurry explosive and your OB would be total slightly above zero and really powerful)
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 08:42

Very interesting, here come in place the liquid explosives, some ETN/MEKP slurry mixture sounds good... I just was wondering if it is possible to optimize the density of any solid explosive you want with the same way that composite propellants do... it does not sounds to me so good to try to press it... What if i use polyester or epoxy (like composite propellants do) for maximum density...

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by underground]

Go To Top