Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TV production company looking for mad scientists!
anna_h
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 10:17
TV production company looking for mad scientists!

If DIY building/inventing is your hobby and passion, if your creations are really cool, unique, or off the beaten path, if you have a big personality and think outside the box....

We want to hear from you!

A major TV production company is looking for homegrown builder/maker/engineer/inventor/hacker types - working either alone or in a group. We are looking for people who are lively, outgoing, outspoken, unique, not afraid of being on camera.

We are looking for two different things at the moment:

1. Young hackers – between the ages of 18-24

2. People whose inventions/builds are on the wacky/silly side. Do the things you make have a sense of humor? Do you appreciate the nonsensical, pulling pranks, surprising people?

Please get in touch – and send the following to castingcallinbox AT gmail DOT com:

+ your name, age, location

+ a brief bio or description of you and what you do

+ video or photos of your and your projects

Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 10:27

This comes across as a spam post and/or scam. I don't get it; what's you're angle?

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 12:06

On the other hand, it might also be a nice opportunity for some here. I'm convinced there are couple of guys here that nicely fit the profile and won't mind making a buck or two showing off their stuff on TV (discovery channel?). Perhaps they'll contribute to your inventions financially a bit too.

[Edited on 14-10-2013 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 12:11

Looks like their angle is "those crazy DIY people". Unsurprising that all they can think of is "the silly stuff". What about useful inventions?

It seems like if this show gets aired, it could go one of two ways. Either a) those of us who like the DIY approach get ostracized as 'People whose inventions/builds are on the wacky/silly side', and no one takes it seriously, or b) We get some much-needed publicity and reputation building. Really hoping for the latter, but it really doesn't look like it.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
anna_h
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 12:18

So sorry! Didn't mean for it to come across like that, but I see where you're coming from!

I assure you, I'm a human who works at a TV production company that is looking for science hacker-types for a show that we hope to develop. We're really hoping to find a group of people/a person that no one has really looked at before, hence posting on forums such as this. We're just looking in various locations for potential people.

I totally understand that this is vague, but if you are actually interested, feel free to e-mail castingcallinbox@gmail.com or my personal account, anna_hider@beyondusa.com with questions or info.

-Anna
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 13:34

Thank you for the clarification. Good thing I didn't follow my knee-jerk reaction to delete this.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 15:01

Anna, you should understand many of the folks here are the science nerds that have been ridiculed throughout our youths for what we perceived as cool and impressive. We find like-minded souls here and some may not initially trust 'outsiders' who come looking for a mad scientist to display like an animal in the zoo.

I'm not saying that is your intention at all, just helping you to understand why you may initially receive a somewhat apprehensive reaction.

[Edited on 14-10-2013 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 15:30

It maybe hard to find silly inventors here however we do have plenty of serious inventors. Although I know that just about anyone here could do great pranks if they tried. Heck, I might've tried to participate if I was old enough.
phlogiston I am lucky to have never been bullied (it might have something to do whith my imposing stature) and I am very sorry if you were, however I do not believe that this should stop us from showing the world how amazing science is. Oh well if we make a few k3wls because we may inspire youths to take up chemistry.
anna here are a few tips use the u2u function to contact individuals and no matter what you do don't hire a k3wl.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 15:43

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
It maybe hard to find silly inventors here however we do have plenty of serious inventors. Although I know that just about anyone here could do great pranks if they tried. Heck, I might've tried to participate if I was old enough.
phlogiston I am lucky to have never been bullied (it might have something to do whith my imposing stature) and I am very sorry if you were, however I do not believe that this should stop us from showing the world how amazing science is. Oh well if we make a few k3wls because we may inspire youths to take up chemistry.
anna here are a few tips use the u2u function to contact individuals and no matter what you do don't hire a k3wl.

An additional explanation for the 'uninitiated' - a k3wl is someone who just likes to blow stuff up, generally uninterested in the science behind what they're doing. Alternatively, drug-makers also fit under the definition, as they aren't interested in the chemistry - just the product. bismuthate is right in that you should avoid these people on your show.

bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 15:55

They would ruin your show and our alredy not so good reputation. Luckily I am sure that somebody from ScienceMadness would represent amateur science well.
p.s. someone should post an example of a k3wl I can't becuase I post from a kindle. You can find plenty in detritus.

I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 16:03

thePHDChemist/whatever his other usernames were?
Diacetl
The legions of meth-cooks who attempted to get one over on us (of which Diacetl was a part of)
The free-energy nuts?
I believe there were some more infamous examples from before I joined, but those fit the bill pretty well.

bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 16:11

balrg! and xanxax were hilarious. I think they talked about him getting arrested on periodictableofvideos.
And don't forget merk or holmes.

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 19:54

I would be happy if amateur scientists and experimenters were portrayed in a positive light on TV. There is definitely a public interest that isn't being fulfilled, plus general ignorance and fear-mongering.

Anna, I would recommend contacting local Hacklabs in various cities. We have one in Toronto and Vancouver and quite a few US cities. They would put on a great show!

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2013 at 02:44

Anna I shot you an email, but looking at your location I see I may have been to hasty. Please reply anyway, just to be sure.

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 15-10-2013 at 03:33

One of interesting projects might be synthesis of various pheromones and observing behaviour of animals.

Go To Top