Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preparation of Hg(NO3)2 and Pb(NO3)2
phototropism
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 19:32
Preparation of Hg(NO3)2 and Pb(NO3)2

Anybody know how to prepare mercury II nitrate and Lead II nitrate solution from solid mercury II chloride and Lead II Chloride?
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 19:55

I believe that nitric acid treatment would work.
[EDIT] I'm also wondering, where would one get mercury and lead chlorides? Did you make them yourself? I've heard they can be useful for some reactions.
[EDIT] Oh, probably for oxidizer use. Nevermind!
[Edited on 3/15/14 by thesmug]

[Edited on 3/15/14 by thesmug]
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 06:46

Mercury (II) Chloride has a solubility of 48 g/100 mL in water, at 100 ÂșC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury%28II%29_chloride). If you make a solution of it and add a source of OH ions, like sodium hydroxide, you would get a precipitate of yellow Mercury (II) oxide (theorethical you would get the hydroxide but it decomposes too rapidly into the oxide).
You could then treat it with nitric acid to yeald mercury (II) nitrate.
phototropism
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 18:32

Okay, thanks a lot, so nitric acid will do the job. The preparation is the same as making insoluble metal salt solution: dissolve lead II chloride in acid with mild heat then filter it...right?

If I want the end concentration of salt solution to be 1g/L of lead II nitrate, then I should dissolve 1g of lead II chloride in 1L of nitric acid? [or...should I first crystallize the filtered salt solution, then weight 1g of it and dissolved in 1L of ddH2O?]

p/s: this will be my first making my own metal salt [we used to buy it form supplier which took times to order and arrive...well this time, need to use the chem a.s.a.p]... ><'
Btw, I got those chemicals [ Pb and Hg chloride from my university lab.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 18:52

You might need to carry out the conversion thusly:

Add the salt to the nitric acid, heat to dissolve, begin to boil the acid, boil down till crystals appear, add more nitric acid, heat to dissolve, repeat a few times. Every time you do this you are removing chloride (as hydrogen chloride) and leaving behind nitrate until you completely replace your anion. Do a silver nitrate test to confirm replacement. You will need to dillute a small sample of the mixture to get a good silver nitrate test since it does not do well in concentrated nitric.

Note however, very important, this will send out a mico-fine spray of solution over everything you work with. You likely will not see it, not even know it is there. But with lead and mercury, beware.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
phototropism
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-3-2014 at 05:09

Thanks for the method. I just wondering, will fume hood chamber enough to reduce the risk dealing with those heavy metal salt? feels like better wait for prepared chem by the pro chemist from the market.

Go To Top