Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrolysy Electrodes
Muzz1969
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 05:01
Electrolysy Electrodes

Has anyone tried using Thoriated Tungstan rods as cathodes and anodes, in place of the usual carbon rods or platinum. Thorium and Tungstan are resistant to most chemicals and extremely good conductors. They are available from welding suppliers at $25 for a pack of 10 x 200mm long. Any thoughts ?
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 06:21

Tungsten will form an insulating oxide skin and stop conducting current (at least at the anode).

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 06:44

And dissolve in a chlorate cell to form the hexachloride . . .

Muzz1969
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 15:41

Yes tungstan on its own may, but only under certain very limited conditions as described here http://www.tungsten.com/tungcorr.html, but it seems to me that only happens in a very arrow field of operation making the rods still viable for most reactions, also that these rods are not pure tungstan they are a mix of thorium and tungstan the whole point of the design is to stop oxidation so that the current will continue to flow whilst welding. I have purchased a back and will let you know how they go during a Bromate work up .
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by Muzz1969  
... the whole point of the design is to stop oxidation so that the current will continue to flow whilst welding. I have purchased a back and will let you know how they go during a Bromate work up .

Keep in mind that argon in the GTAW process not only protects the weld but also protects the electrode from oxidation. I imagine it would dissolve in a chlorate cell as hissingnoise pointed out. I don't remember what I attempted this with but it just stopped conducting and I gave up on it.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 07:22

Quote:
. . . these rods are not pure tungstan they are a mix of thorium and tungstan the whole point of the design is to stop oxidation.

Thorium is much too reactive to be of use in electrolysis ─ reactivity such that when finely divided the metal is pyrophoric . . .

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:26

Added thoria lowers the work function of tungsten electrodes. This gives the electrodes better low current performance, and allows them to operate at lower overall temperatures. This in turn improves service life. As far as I know, it doesn't do anything to improve corrosion resistance. The electrodes are always protected from atmosphere with an inert shield gas during welding. Otherwise, the tungsten erodes away almost instantly.

Thorium is an alpha emitter, but is quite safe when in alloy form with the tungsten. If you use the electrodes in a manner other than the way they were intended, it pays to ensure that one isn't inadvertently poisoning oneself. The dust is an inhalation hazard, and any soluble salts may be a problem if ingested.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
The dust is an inhalation hazard, and any soluble salts may be a problem if ingested.

Makes me wonder ... with all the lanthanated/thoriated tungstens i've ground in my lifetime. :o

Muzz1969
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 04:40

Thanks for all the input guys , some interesting information to chew on.

Go To Top