Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction time/time to completion
Muzz1969
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 05:40
Reaction time/time to completion

Is the reaction time calculations different when we use and electrolytic cell. Do we need to work out a specific voltage for each type of reaction or can we set any voltage? Do these varying parameters effect yield?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 07:56

Voltage has nothing to do with calculating the length of time an electrolytic cell has to run for. Current is a measure of Charge/Time and this will dictate how long you need to run your cell for. Firstly calculate how many "mols" of electrons your reaction needs to go to completion. Then use Faradays constant to convert mols to coulombs. 1 amp = 1 coulomb/second, so divide the total number of coulombs needed by the current and divide by 3600 to find the total number of hours neede to complete the reaction, assuming 100% efficiency. Voltage will determine if a reaction will occur, but higher voltages will not increase reaction rate.
Muzz1969
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 16:07

Does the surface area of the carbon rods have an affect on the reaction time, ie more area less time ?
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 16:45

No. The reaction time depends solely on the current (and efficiency), as this is a measure of the number of electrons per second passing through the cell. Since a certain number of electrons are needed to complete the reaction, one divides the total number of electrons needed by the rate the electrons are flowing at to obtain the time for the reaction to be completed.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 17:14

Theoretically, no. However, it depends on the cell design, if you have no way of stirring it, then a large surface area will slightly lower reaction time as the rate is partially based on diffusion.
Muzz1969
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 19:41

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to try and set up an experiemnt to oxidize ethanol with a cell I have built from a test tube and some pencil graphite I'll put up my calculations and would be grateful for any corrections , I'm trying to my skill set ready for uni at the end of February

Go To Top