Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: DCM vs ether
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 10:16
DCM vs ether

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
My 1960's college organic chemistry manual never specified DCM as solvent in any of the procedures although it was mentioned in a list of solvents. Chloroform and carbon tetrachloride were occaisionally used as well as, of course, diethyl ether.

Now, during my recent refresher course the lab manual relies very heavily on the use of DCM, and rarely specifies chloroform, carbon tet, or ether.

Surely this must be due to the lower toxicity of DCM vs chloroform and carbon tet. And compared to ether there is the big advantage DCM's non-flammability.

What I'm wondering is: If lower boiling point and somewhat higher solubility in water aren't an issue, is there any reason that DCM can't be generally substituted for these other chlorinated methanes?

For a specific example take the case of the extraction of phenol from water.

Many, if not most, of the synthesis procedures found in Vogel, OrgSyn, Gattermann, etc, specify ether for the workup. I dislike the use of ether because of its flammability and lingering stench. If at all possible I would much rather use DCM (dichloromethane). Although this question has been discussed tangentially in other threads I wanted to ask this question formally to get your opinions for discussion.

So, barring a good reason to not use DCM (eg, reactivity, azeotrope formation, etc) can it be assumed that where ether is specified DCM can be substituted?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 10:23

I can't speak for the generality of DCM, but one issue I have had with DCM is emulsions, which I don't remember with ether. It might just be me, though. :)

I also imagine that DCM could more easily be deprotonated than Et2O.

[Edited on 24-3-2015 by Loptr]
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 10:31

This interests me as well - DCM is safer and cheaply and easily available where I live (California) in paint stripper.

Similarly, I have resolved to try isopropyl alcohol instead of methanol or ethanol in most procedures (if their only role is as a solvent) since IPA is so cheap and easy to get.

In Williamson's "Microscale and Macroscale Organic Chemistry" (second edition) published in 1994 he used methyl tert-butyl ether (MBTE) as the all purpose replacement for diethyl ether citing its cheapness and ready availability since it was widely used in gasoline/petrol. 20 years on it is not cheap nor readily available, having been effectively banned from gasoline in 2004-2005.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 11:04

I have considered this very question before, and seen the substitution used on a few different reactions without apparent issue so far. Interested in seeing anyone come up with exceptions.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 12:30

I just recently purchased a gallon of DCM in hopes of it being my general purpose non-polar solvent, even though it is slightly polar.

According to this http://web.pdx.edu/~wamserc/Research/jo100276m.pdf, pyridine and its derivatives react with dichloromethane under ambient conditions to form methylenebispyridinium dichloride compounds. I know that diethyl ether is used to dissolve the pyridine salt as part of extraction, so it DCM might not be a good candidate in conjunction with pyridine. Of course, there are other methods, but this is one I have run across in a quick search for incompatibilities.

* I am just trying to find a set of general example where DCM might not be a good idea. I am in no way an authority on this, and might be wrong.

EDIT: I think it also goes without saying that being it's a chlorinated solvent, you don't dry with alkali metals as you would with diethyl ether. I have read the usage of sodium with chlorinated solvents has led to explosions. I am not in the industry, but is something that has stuck in my head since college.

[Edited on 25-3-2015 by Loptr]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 16:42

Is there any reason that hexane or heptane wouldn't be suitable for many of the procedures using DCM or ether as a solvent? One of the other is often found alongside ether in engine starter fluid. Forgive my ignorance if there's a blatantly obvious reason why it wouldn't work; I haven't really seen many compounds explicitly described as being soluble in alkanes.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by Amos]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 16:47

Long ago, when I worked with funky organometallic compounds, DCM was our standard solvent due to its polarity. Ether was used to precipitate out the compounds from solution.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 18:58

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
According to this http://web.pdx.edu/~wamserc/Research/jo100276m.pdf, pyridine and its derivatives react with dichloromethane under ambient conditions to form methylenebispyridinium dichloride compounds. I know that diethyl ether is used to dissolve the pyridine salt as part of extraction, so it DCM might not be a good candidate in conjunction with pyridine. Of course, there are other methods, but this is one I have run across in a quick search for incompatibilities.

* I am just trying to find a set of general example where DCM might not be a good idea. I am in no way an authority on this, and might be wrong.

I didn't realize that. Room temperature with pyridines is a new one for me. The link didn't work for me, but I might have the citation here: J. Org. Chem., 2010, 75 (12), pp 4292–4295
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 20:26

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  

I didn't realize that. Room temperature with pyridines is a new one for me. The link didn't work for me, but I might have the citation here: J. Org. Chem., 2010, 75 (12), pp 4292–4295

http://web.pdx.edu/~wamserc/Research/jo100276m.pdf

There was an issue with a comma included in the url. The link had pictures showing the formed products comparing side by side solutions.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 20:32

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Long ago, when I worked with funky organometallic compounds, DCM was our standard solvent due to its polarity. Ether was used to precipitate out the compounds from solution.

I have read of DCM being used as a cosolvent in organometallic additions to help with chelation control. Any chance this being one of the reasons? In the particular instance I refer to, they were using temperatures around -78C to keep the DCM from becoming deprotonated. LDA to form dichloromethyllithium is one such example of it being deprotonated.

subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 06:33

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Is there any reason that hexane or heptane wouldn't be suitable for many of the procedures using DCM or ether as a solvent? One of the other is often found alongside ether in engine starter fluid. Forgive my ignorance if there's a blatantly obvious reason why it wouldn't work; I haven't really seen many compounds explicitly described as being soluble in alkanes.

Petroleum ether, toluene, or xylene could be used if hydrocarbons work well for extractions. According to wikipedia, carboxylic acids can easily be extracted with benzene. Bromine and iodine can easily be extracted with these hydrocarbons (which might be a good way to extract iodine from tincture of iodine, after it is acidified and H2O2 added).

But I think we are missing something here, because these solvents are never mentioned for the most common extractions.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 07:08

I am considering purchasing P2O5 for use in drying the dichloromethane. Would this be an optimal choice?

I haven't attempted to dry dichloromethane before, however, I have ran across the use of calcium hydride several times so far, which is not easily acquired, for me at least.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Reference/Lab_Techniques/Distill...

EDIT: Also, drying it with a more general desiccant, such as calcium chloride might do the trick, and then distill it. I am planning on storing the DCM with 3A molecular sieves. 4A molecular sieves won't exclude any methanol that has been added as a stabilizer, and might cause issues with pressure build up.

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 07:45

Here is an old post from back in 2008 that is a translated page showing azeotropes of DCM--might be useful. (way before I got here)
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10306&...

Here is the thread link: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10306

* I attached the image to this thread because it wouldn't let me link the image into this post for some reason... redundancy... :-/

DCM azeotropes.JPG - 374kB
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 07:57

Quote: Originally posted by subsecret  

Petroleum ether, toluene, or xylene could be used if hydrocarbons work well for extractions. According to wikipedia, carboxylic acids can easily be extracted with benzene. Bromine and iodine can easily be extracted with these hydrocarbons (which might be a good way to extract iodine from tincture of iodine, after it is acidified and H2O2 added).

But I think we are missing something here, because these solvents are never mentioned for the most common extractions.

I wonder if what we are missing is the somewhat polar nature of both DCM and ether.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 08:00

I am considering purchasing P2O5 for use in drying the dichloromethane. Would this be an optimal choice?

That's what we always used back in the day. Reflux over P2O5, then distil.

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 08:21

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

I have read of DCM being used as a cosolvent in organometallic additions to help with chelation control. Any chance this being one of the reasons? In the particular instance I refer to, they were using temperatures around -78C to keep the DCM from becoming deprotonated. LDA to form dichloromethyllithium is one such example of it being deprotonated.

No, we just used it because the compounds we were using were very soluble in it, and it didn't react with the stuff we were using.

deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 08:39

I second that, I've found DCM highly useful in dissolving stubborn organic compounds. It is an exceptional solvent IMHO.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 08:47

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

BTW heptane is available OTC in the US as the rubber cement solvent Bestine, about $16 a quart. Amazon has it, and your better art supply houses have it also (Dick Blick, ArtSupplyWarehouse, etc.).
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 08:50

EDIT: Also, drying it with a more general desiccant, such as calcium chloride might do the trick, and then distill it. I am planning on storing the DCM with 3A molecular sieves. 4A molecular sieves won't exclude any methanol that has been added as a stabilizer, and might cause issues with pressure build up.

I find CaCl2 listed as a dessicant for DCM in multiple places. That would be the one to start with, for cheapness.

I intend to use it to dry distilled paint stripper DCM to remove any methanol and ethanol as well.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 11:19

I wonder if what we are missing is the somewhat polar nature of both DCM and ether.

Perhaps one of the issues arises in removing the solvent. Both DCM and ether are very volatile compounds with low boiling points. This allows for easily removing the solvent after an extraction with a hot water bath. If the product is a liquid, it may have a boiling point similar to that of the solvent, thus requiring a fractional distillation. If the product is a solid, it may melt lower than the boiling point of the solid thus leaving a mess after solvent removal, or decompose below the solvent's boiling point, undesirable for obvious reasons(liquids could suffer this problem as well). The volatility of ether and DCM will also just allow for the product to dry faster, requiring less time taking up oven space or taking up space sitting in a dish.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 11:42

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  

Perhaps one of the issues arises in removing the solvent. Both DCM and ether are very volatile compounds with low boiling points. This allows for easily removing the solvent after an extraction with a hot water bath. If the product is a liquid, it may have a boiling point similar to that of the solvent, thus requiring a fractional distillation. If the product is a solid, it may melt lower than the boiling point of the solid thus leaving a mess after solvent removal, or decompose below the solvent's boiling point, undesirable for obvious reasons(liquids could suffer this problem as well). The volatility of ether and DCM will also just allow for the product to dry faster, requiring less time taking up oven space or taking up space sitting in a dish.

Aren't higher boiling solvents more difficult to remove given Raoult's law, meaning you want the solvent be as volatile as is practical?
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 12:26

Yes, the low boiling point of DCM (40°) and ether (35°) is important for the reasons you have stated. But pet ether can also have a very low boiling point depending on the petroleum cut selected (30°-40°, 40°-60°, etc). But it would be a non-polar solvent.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 12:42

Yes, I think that multiple factors come into play. For example, one of my recent orgo labs(synthesis of methyl 3-nitrobenzoate) called for the product to be extracted with and dissolved in methanol, then ligroin(similar to pet ether, higher boiling fraction in this case) added and the methanol evaporated at which point the methyl 3-nitrobenzoate precipitated due to the insolubility in the non polar solvent and was filtered. So a desirable solvent has to be moderately polar to have desirable solvent characteristics, but also needs to have a low boiling point to be a viable extraction solvent.

Aren't higher boiling solvents more difficult to remove given Raoult's law, meaning you want the solvent be as volatile as is practical?

Yes, that was the point that I was trying to make. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by gdflp]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 13:46

DCM is often the best solvent for extractions of both non-polar and somewhat polar compounds. Ether works well with similar compounds, but is not as good at either end of the spectrum, in general (it will not dissolve grease or really polar compounds as quickly as DCM). So DCM can be used in place of ether, except that it can actually extract out some unwanted compounds that ether will not extract, like amines, acids, etc, which you often want to stay in the water layer, for instance in an amide formation. Chloroform is as good or better then DCM for most cases, but is considered less safe. CCl4 is too non-polar for most work, other then very non-polar compounds, and becoming hard to find.

Hexane, heptane and pet ether are all all great for extracting oily compounds, but are very poor solvents for most even slightly polar compounds, which is why ethyl acetate is more often used for moderately polar compounds. Heptane is often used in process chemistry, due to higher flash point, BP, and lower toxicity (in theory at least). And many process chemists use isopropyl acetate instead of EtOAc for safety as well.

MTBE is also used by process chemists in place of ethyl ether, higher BP and flash point, but similar in peroxide formation, so still have to watch that. It was cheap until most fo the plants to make it closed suddenly due to being banned in gasoline.

So chemists often want the lowest BP for ease of removal, engineers want the highest BP for safety and avoidance of evaporation loses. There are tables of the "polarity" of most solvents, but if you stick with "like dissolves like", that will tell you if a solvent will work.

So for the least polar compounds, aromatics, hexane, heptane and pet ether all work well.

For intermediate polarity, I like ethyl acetate, DCM, ether, and sometimes THF (although it is somewhat miscible with water, unless mixed with DCM or hexane).

And for very polar extractions from water, you might need n-butanol, THF, DCM/MeOH (9:1 is common). If the extraction is from a solid, then methanol, ethanol, or isopropanol can work well, also acetonitrile can work, not as well as most alcohols. If you need DMSO or DMF, then you are not going to extract anything from water, but they are great polar solvents.
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 03:09

I generally prefer DCM as it allows faster workup & extraction from a sep funnel. As a general rule, the organic layer is going to be on the bottom meaning that you do not have to drain the aqueous layer every time you shake & extract.

Flammability is also a concern, plus ether is slightly soluble (edit!) in water so a certain degree.

I also use ethyl acetate quite a lot as it comes off relatively quickly and is probably much less harmful to health than DCM -and much easier to dispose of the waste (not halogenated!).

YMMV though :)

[Edited on 26-3-2015 by adk]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top