Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is there a rule for predicting meso-configuration occurence when preparing diamines (or other dichirals)?
RareEarth
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 10:22
Is there a rule for predicting meso-configuration occurence when preparing diamines (or other dichirals)?

I couldn't find much information on this. I found some vague mentions in various online texts that meso compounds were "rarer" to occur, but nothing to explain why this would be.

Do meso compounds occur at a similar ratio as the other enantiomers, if for instance a diketone was aminated?

With an occurrence distribution like this:

R:S 25% (meso)
S:R 25% (meso)
R:R 25%
S:S 25%

Or is there something about the Meso configurations that make them sterically unfavored in forming?
RareEarth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 18:56

I'm surprised nobody has commented yet. Can this be moved to the Organic Chemistry forum?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 19:43

Yes, to an extent this can be predicted due to sterics. Check out Cram's rule. This should make much more sense in that context. I believe these were the two original citations: JACS 1952, 74, 5828 and JACS 1959, 81, 2748.

This has been extended with Prelog and Horeau rules, and has specifics built into various models with their own rules including Karabatsos', Felkin-Ahn's, Cieplak's effect, Baldwin’s Rules, the Bürgi-Dunitz's Angle, and I am sure many more I never heard of, depending on your substrates.

Go To Top