Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sears potassium permanganate 6lb
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 05:30
Sears potassium permanganate 6lb

A seller on craiglist not far from where I live is selling two six-pound canisters of unopened potassium permanganate from Sears, used as a water purification chemical: https://louisville.craigslist.org/mat/5009737858.html

I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this product before and if they can attest to its purity; I asked the seller to open it so that I could test it but they didn't want to try selling an already-opened product. Is this stuff relatively pure potassium permanganate, or is a lot of it filler material?

Secondly, I was also wondering if anybody would like me to secure the remaining six pounds for them. I have some doubts on whether or not I could ship it, but if anyone would want to take their chances, and pay shipping as well, I could try sending it to them.

szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 08:09

I bought potassium permanganate from Sears years ago. From what I remember it was 99% or something like that. If you have a sears location you might want to just go buy a pound. I would assume the craigslist person is just some home owner but if you can go to Sears and get 1 pound just to see maybe you should.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 15:53

I bought quite a bit of it from the local Sears about 10 years ago. The purity and form seemed about the same as my old inherited bottle from Mallinckrodt. Until fairly recently they sold it on their web site too; maybe shipping made that too expensive. Right now their web site only shows KMnO4 from third party vendors. The price you're seeing appears to be competitive with online vendors.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 16:47

Excellent, thanks you guys. I'll go and pick it up on Friday.

Go To Top