Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical waste
DrWhooo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 14:49
Chemical waste

Hi guys.

I was wondering...how does a home scientist dispose of chemical waste?

Would neutralizing acids with base and vice versa and dumping it somewhere be safe? And what kind of container is safe against acids and bases?

Any comment is much appreciated..☺
skip
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 18:39

Buy some bag concrete and mix it in with tiny bit of water until its uniform and let it sit in 5 gal bucket until hard.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 20:03

There are plenty of other topics on the subject. Unlike some forums digging up old relevant topics and posting to them is encouraged, just take the time and you will find what you are looking for. Here are a few relevant threads:

How to dispose of unknown chemical waste?
Subject: Waste Disposal
Disposal of mercury salts (hazardous waste in general)
Chemical Disposal
Professional Laboratories, how waste is dealt with

Those should get you going in the right direction. But let me give you the high points:

Lost of people dump their waste down the drain. Most will do this forever without consequence. Or maybe they dump it on the ground, in a corner, or in a bucket to evaporate. Some will cement their waste (as the previous post indicates) and some will stockpile it. Others will recycle it, re-distilling their solvents and acids. You can neutralize acids, bases, use some things for fertilizers. You can burn them or oxidize them with Caro's acid, or kill them off with Fenton's reagent. Only a select few home chemists will resort to professional disposal. There are so many different paths to suit whatever your fancy and situation may be. Being that you are likely working out of your back yard, no one is going to stop you from any of these avenues.

But... improper disposal of hazardous waste is a crime in most countries. I have never heard of the EPA (my experience is in the states) coming after an individual years later but they do it all the time with corporations. Cradle to grave is the term, and I would hate to be fined tens of thousands of dollars years down the road for poor choices in my youth. Further you could contaminate your yard, ground water, neighborhood. It behooves you to do your best to dispose of the waste in the most conscientious manner you can determine which can be a difficult thing to do especially when the consequences seem vague or far off.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 21:24

Nice answer Bromicacid.

I render everything I can to insoluble salts and stockpile precipitation waste. I evaporate off most of the water and stir the remains into a cement block.

I am doing some work with Cr at the moment and take pains to not leave any in the VI oxidation state. Waste is poured into its own jar and I will likely electrlyse it to metallic Cr at some stage.

I haven't got any organics that are particularly hazardous. most are left to evaporate (alcohols) while others are painted onto newspaper and disposed of as solid waste (paraffin).
Acids and bases are neutralised. Most soluble waste I deal with are highly dilute. Much of that goes onto my compost heap. I figure nitrates will do little harm and the bacteria in the compost are going to be the best agents I have for rendering anything else into its best environmental form.
DrWhooo
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 9-8-2015 at 03:26
Thanx

Yeah thanks a lot guys..a lot of good tips..i will be reading those threads bromicacid...thx
DrWhooo
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 9-8-2015 at 03:28
Thanx

Yeah thanks a lot guys..a lot of good tips..i will be reading those threads bromicacid...thx
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 11:22

BrAcid mentioned EPA. In the US, as a home experimenter you are an "exempt small quantity generator." Mostly these are handled by county or municipal waste handling (garbage) subcontract to an environmental company. Usually you would bring the waste to one of them. My biggest concern is groundwater. In the US and elsewhere so many potential shallow drinking water sources have been compromised by industrial waste we actually use very few of them and have to go much deeper with wells. Use the available services. They are private sector guys and don't give a shit what you're doing. If anyone does ask, I would say, "that is not required information." But nobody asks. Anyway I collect waste in empty gallon bottles and take them to the county facility on prescribed days.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
DrWhooo
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Anyway I collect waste in empty gallon bottles and take them to the county facility on prescribed days.

Thx for the info...yeah i dont live in the us but in my country disposal of chemicals is free off charge in the local dump yard but i just dont know if i should take advantage of the offer seeing as i live in a small community...may be ill see some neighbour and have to friendly and explain myself, hehe

By the way, what kind of container do you keep the waste.? Any specifications.?

Anyway thx

[Edited on 9-8-2015 by DrWhooo]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 11:54

Empty 5L distilled water jugs ;)

Or milk jugs - they're made of HDPE which is what stuff like Acids are sold in.

Go To Top