Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Created a compound unintentionally; any idea on what it is?
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 28-8-2015 at 17:23
Created a compound unintentionally; any idea on what it is?

Here's the story;
A little 1,3 propanediol (~2mL) was placed into a plastic bottle, along with about 3mL of ~3% H2O2, then I forgot about it.

In a graduated cylinder was left a little (~1mL) solution of tetraaminecopper II sulfate + rubbing alcohol+ NH3 and possibly some Cu(OH)2.

Mistaking the first solution with water, I emptied the contents into the cylinder, immediately forming a grayish-green solution that bubble heavily and became warm. This is what it looks like:

DYveSTR.jpg - 398kB

Any ideas on what I made?

EDIT: It appears that the reaction occurs even if the 1,3 propanediol is removed.

[Edited on 8/29/2015 by Velzee]

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 02:08

A Fenton oxidation of ammonia and 2-propanol gives mostly nitrogen in the first case, and acetone and its further oxidation products in the second case. Similarly, the Fenton oxidation of 1,3-propanediol gives a complex mixture of oxidation products.

By the way, you obviously did not create any compound, you just observed reactions with a visible outcome. "Creating" a compound means to synthesize it, which includes the reaction and isolation of a substance pure enough for a characterization.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 06:54

I am all for experimentation and discovery and wished I had started younger but I think you would accomplish more by getting a beginners text book and doing some basic reactions as they are written in the text book. With all the literature and simple reactions that will solidify your understanding why not start there? That is the one thing i feel I did right was read read read read for years before I had the means to do anything, not bashing just sharing my past :)

Maybe I will post this on all of the really amateur questions just because so much of science is recognizing things from a previous experience it is amazing how easy "chemistry 101" is when you can identify acids and bases. I am being serious, my understanding of chemistry when i was 18 would have been insane had I had a place like this.

[Edited on 29-8-2015 by szuko03]

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by szuko03  
I am all for experimentation and discovery and wished I had started younger but I think you would accomplish more by getting a beginners text book and doing some basic reactions as they are written in the text book. With all the literature and simple reactions that will solidify your understanding why not start there? That is the one thing i feel I did right was read read read read for years before I had the means to do anything, not bashing just sharing my past :)

Maybe I will post this on all of the really amateur questions just because so much of science is recognizing things from a previous experience it is amazing how easy "chemistry 101" is when you can identify acids and bases. I am being serious, my understanding of chemistry when i was 18 would have been insane had I had a place like this.

It sounds like the OP was just mixing two waste solutions either to see what happened or just to save space in one container.

Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 11:02

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

It sounds like the OP was just mixing two waste solutions either to see what happened or just to save space in one container.

You're correct

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 13:11

Quote:
any idea on what it is?

Nope. Not a clue.

Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 13:28

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Quote:
any idea on what it is?

Nope. Not a clue.

It leaves behind a material of the same color, but the original solution changed to a light blue color(as opposed to a deep purple-blue color of the original tetraaminecopper (ii) sulfate solution). The other solutions(both with and without the 1,3 propanediol) have not gained the same color as the the one described above.

336SfIx.jpg - 107kB

—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 14:21

Is it the Philosophers' Stone (blue/green Liquid version) ?

If this is a Test, then i certainly Fail.

It is unlikely that the Best people on this website will even bother to comment, as what you've done is just mix random quantities of different things.

There is no Plan, no Idea - nothing.

You may as well ask 'What is This ?' when you piss in a bucket of frogspawn.

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 17:18

Right on!
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 17:22

Aga, I'm sure one of your suggestions is accurate!
Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2015 at 18:34

Is it the Philosophers' Stone (blue/green Liquid version) ?

If this is a Test, then i certainly Fail.

It is unlikely that the Best people on this website will even bother to comment, as what you've done is just mix random quantities of different things.

There is no Plan, no Idea - nothing.

You may as well ask 'What is This ?' when you piss in a bucket of frogspawn.

Please, please leave out sarcasm. I want to learn from this forum, not be insulted by it.

—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 30-8-2015 at 00:58

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  
Please, please leave out sarcasm. I want to learn from this forum, not be insulted by it.

Fair enough.

You got lucky with Nicodem (one of the best) already telling you what might have happened.

To identify what is in your mixture you'd need very expensive anlysis equipment and most people don't have $500,000 worth of lab gear.

One of the first things to learn is to not just mix up random chemicals hoping to get any useful results.

Pick a chemical you Want to synthesise, find a procedure for that, then follow that procedure and see what the result is.

If it fails, then many people here will be willing & able to help you learn.

E.g. try making pure tetrachlorocuprate CuCl4 crystals from your copper sulphate and some NaCl.

CuCl4 might not be a sexy chemical to make, however you'll need a couple of important practical skills to achieve it.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 30-8-2015 at 02:03

E.g. try making pure tetrachlorocuprate CuCl4 crystals from your copper sulphate and some NaCl.

CuCl4 might not be a sexy chemical to make, however you'll need a couple of important practical skills to achieve it.

Nitpick. You missed the charge.
(And I get to cite our very own wiki that I have been reading a bit lately.)

[Edited on 30-8-2015 by j_sum1]

Go To Top