Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses of iodoform in OC?
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 06:49
Uses of iodoform in OC?

Last night, I prepared a small batch of iodoform via the haloform reaction, in preparation for running the haloform reaction with some of the more reactive halogens (ie. chlorine, bromine). After an extremely successful turnout of the reaction, I looked at the yellow powder and felt bad for it, because according to a few sources, it only has some niche uses in organic chemistry. Production of diiodomethane aside, are there any interesting uses for iodoform in organic chemistry that you guys know of?

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 10:12

Takai olefination!

The resulting terminal iodoalkenes can be converted to alkenyl ethers/esters/amides which are versatile entry points for rearrangement reactions (e.g. iodoalkene -> vinyl ether -> [Claisen reaction]).

[Edited on 1-8-2016 by clearly_not_atara]
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 12:16

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Takai olefination!

The resulting terminal iodoalkenes can be converted to alkenyl ethers/esters/amides which are versatile entry points for rearrangement reactions (e.g. iodoalkene -> vinyl ether -> [Claisen reaction]).

Ooh, lovely. That's actually pretty useful, just wish I had some CrCl2 on hand.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
2-8-2016 at 00:13

Go To Top