Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: preperation of nickel?
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 28-10-2005 at 17:27
preperation of nickel?

I had two beakers set up with an aqqeous solution of nickel chloride (green solution). In one I put an iron nail; the other I put a piece of aluminum (not foil). In both reactions a redish-brown sludge had formed.
I was expecting little pieces of nickel to be formed according to this equation:

3NiCl + Al -> AlCl3 + 3Ni
2NiCl + Fe -> FeCl2 + 2Ni

any suggestions on what was formed or overlooked, maybe the water interefering with the reaction. I'm trying to form nickel metal so any suggestions?

Maybe this was the route it went through:
3NiCl + Al + 6H2O -> AlCl3 + 3Ni(OH)2 + 3H2

I did notice that the reation let out a lot of hydrogen; this was tested using a splint which was lit on fire and put close to the reaction vessel. In the other reaction with iron I did not observe.

[Edited on 29-10-2005 by chochu3]

[Edited on 29-10-2005 by chochu3]

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 29-10-2005 at 03:01

Iron isn't much above nickel. Try zinc (mind it'll plate out and obscure the surface). Aluminum is probably only half working because it likes water so much.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 10:47

Go To Top