Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkali earth metals hetero carboxylic acid salt?
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 02:22
Alkali earth metals hetero carboxylic acid salt?

Okay. So this may be a stupid question but multiple times have I asked myself this question and no matter what I search no information of hetero carboxylic acid salts being a thing or not being a thing is anywhere. Each time I just drop it but enough is enough haha

Again, may be a stupid question

[Edited on 16-4-2020 by Opylation]
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 03:02

What's a "hetero carboxylic acid salt"?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 03:47

You mean a salt of different organikc acids?

E.g. Ca(CH3COO)(CH3CH2COO) ? This would be a mixed calcium acetate/propionate.
Maybe such things exist. They would be double-salts with multiple anions in the crystal lattice at a specific ratio. I am quite sure that such things are possible. With other anions I know many examples, both with multiple anions and multiple cations. Some examples:

Anionic examples: NaK-tartrate; alum; Mohr's salt.
Cationic examples: Cu2CO3(OH)2 (mixed copper hydroxide/carbonate); BiOCl (bismuth oxide/chloride)

These are not complexes, they contain the separate ionic species, indepent from each other in the crystal lattice.

Their nature is different from complexes, e.g. Be4O(CH3COO)6 is not a mixed beryllium oxide/acetate, but it is a complex of very intricate structure and can better be considered a covalent species as a whole. It is insoluble in water, but soluble in several non-polar organic solvents.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 05:42

Yeah, exactly what woelen is saying. Specifically I was looking at calcium salt destructive distillation that mentions mixing 2 different calcium salts together and distilling then for a relatively low yield. I was curious as to whether mixing the acids together first and then basifying them would produce a better yield by possible forming a mixed carboxylic acid calcium salt. I couldn’t find anything about forming 2 different carboxylic acids to a alkali earth metal cation
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 11:11

Whether you really get a mixed acid calcium salt or not, I do not know, but you will get a good mix of the two different cations. This will always be better than the result of mechanical mixing.

draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 15:16

This question has been asked often regarding this reaction.no u don't need the two different acids attached to the one calcium atom.u just use however much of the 2 different salts.dissolving both in water then boiling to dryness will provide a better result than manual mixing but u could probably get as good a result with a ball mill or one of those powder tumblers pharma companies use to mix powders together in before putting thru a pill press.if I wanted to make the double salt though I'd mix equal mole of each acid then the equivalent amount of caoh in water then combine with rapid stirring.i don't know whether "the stronger acid librates the weaker one" comes into play here or one fully neutralises the calcium first then the other acid gets neutralised because ones more reactive or not.

[Edited on 16-4-2020 by draculic acid69]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 00:24

@draculic acid69: Try to be a little more precise in use of capital letters, punctuation and correct usage of chemical symbols and formula's. Your posts sometimes look just like an unstructured blob and I notice that I more and more am inclined to simply ignore your posts. Others may also have that feeling. I don't think that this is what you want.

draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 20:19

This is about the tenth time you've been a grammar nazi woelen. If I was on a computer with a keyboard It wouldn't be such an issue but when I'm on my mobile (quite often) using my finger to hit tiny letters that aren't really there and dealing with autocorrect and im out and about moving around proper punctuation and capitalization just aren't that high of a priority.Its obviously a pet peeve of yours but it is what it is.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 06:53

No, I second woelen. I type most of my posts on my phone and it’s really not that hard. We’re not being grammar nazis, we’re just suggesting that you make your posts more readable.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top