Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: H2O2 experiments?
oriansbelt
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 22:34
H2O2 experiments?

I recently got some 35% hydrogen peroxide and I would like to know an experiment that I could do with it, something that is interseting, not just an exothermic reaction or something like that. I originally got it to distill into 85% but I found that I need a vacuum still to do that so I want something like what the 85% stuff would do when it comes in contact with silver. Thanks for any help u can give me in finding an exciting reaction I can perform.

Advertize here.
NUKE
Harmless

Mood: Detonating with the highest order

[*] posted on 30-1-2007 at 05:57

85% H2O2 with silver:o. This woud be pretty explosive reaction. So do it safe. You can also make NH4OH+CuSO4+H2O2. First you must make NH4OH/CuSO4 sollution. Then you add H2O2(not concentrated). The reaction is so exothermic that the ingredients will boil instantly(do it in small ammounts). If you like energetic materials you can make peroxide watergel(with more than 50% H2O2). Or the explosive peroxides(not recommended).

[Edited on 30-1-2007 by NUKE]
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 30-1-2007 at 06:32

why not build a small O2 generator?

a large pyrex flask with a little MnO2 in the bottom, a glass column with a tap containing your H2O2 into the top of the stopper, and a second hole in the stopper for you lead out O2 pipe.
drip at a time you can have a constant O2 supply, and at that concentration you wouldn`t have to empty the water out too often either.

but please, at That conc, be VERY CAREFUL ! this stuff could kill you!:(

[Edited on 30-1-2007 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
oriansbelt
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2007 at 22:16

At first I was planning to make a rocket using the 85%H2O2 and silver but I don't have a vacuum still to get my 35% stuff up that high so I was looking for something intersesting to do with it.
I do like the power of that reaction:D but I don't really want to have to get the copper sulfate and ammium hydroxide. I do have the manganese dioxide though so I might do something like that but I don't have a paticilar use for the O2... I could just add it to yeast to get O2 also but like doing visiually intersting things like the powerful exothermic reaction. I don't plan to make "energetic matterials" with it btw.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-1-2007 at 23:48

Hydrogen peroxide makes many interesting peroxo complexes with quite a few transition metals. Try reactions with chromates/dichromates, iron(II) salts in weak acid, vanadium (IV) and vanadium (V) species, titanium (IV) species, copper (II) at weak alkali. All kinds of weird complexes with all colors from the rainbow can be obtained.

For these experiments you'd better dilute it to 10% or so.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 00:12

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Hydrogen peroxide makes many interesting peroxo complexes with quite a few transition metals. Try reactions with chromates/dichromates, iron(II) salts in weak acid, vanadium (IV) and vanadium (V) species, titanium (IV) species, copper (II) at weak alkali. All kinds of weird complexes with all colors from the rainbow can be obtained.

For these experiments you'd better dilute it to 10% or so.

Copper peroxide instantly decomposes to form copper oxide (brown).

YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 02:45

Quote:
Originally posted by oriansbelt
I do have the manganese dioxide though so I might do something like that but I don't have a paticilar use for the O2... I like doing visiually intersting things like the powerful exothermic reaction.

well I estimate about 40g of your peroxide should make roughly 20litres of O2.
More than plenty to run a Thermic Lance :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Per
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 05:28

I don´t have a vacuum also, for that I´m looking for a other procedure to make my 30% H2O2 more concentrate.

My idea:
is it possible to concentrate a H2O2 soluble by mixing with waterless MgSO4 or other salts like Na2SO4?
They should come into their hydrates ans the H2O2 could be filtered.

Or is it possible to dry a H2O2 solubility with P4O10?

I needn´t a high concentrated H2O2 solubility in practise, I just wanted to know if it´s possible to make it on that way.

@ oriansbelt
You can make I with KI and your H2O2,
or you can make a chemolumineszens(I hope the word is right) experiment with maybe luminol.
You see H2O2 is very usefull in the laboratory.
oriansbelt
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 12:44

haha, now just if I had a way to store 20liters of O2 so they could be used for that thermic lance!

alas, luminol is expensive for me. I have heard that an exothermic reaction can be achieved with iron filings, H2O2, and other ingredients but I don't know what they are. yes i do like the usefulness but I wish I could get mine up too that 70-85% range so I could use it for a roket without a vacuum still though.

Advertize here.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 15:46

The expedited oxidation of Fe via H2O2 is described in this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7163#p...

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
oriansbelt
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 11:51

Thanks.
I reallized that in my purification prosses Iwouldn't know how pure the H2O2 was. I desided to do it by density since H2O2 is 1.4g/cc and water is of cource 1g/cc but I can't seem to come up with a formula that I can put in the wieght and get the ratio for water to hydrogen peroxide. The closes I can get is
X1.4/1+Y1/1=W/80
X=H2O2, Y=H2O, W=wieght of 80 cchow would u work it so it is a simple formula?

Advertize here.

Go To Top