Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Solvent Free Permanganate Oxidation of Diols
National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:47

Not having a 5x excess of oxidizer might help the situation.. ;)

About the alumina, what kind would be best? Because it looks like there are many different grades and types... Since it's just a solid suport I wouldn't think the grade/size/porosity would be critical... Maybe you could use something like this or maybe this?

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by 497]
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 21:51

How do you control the extent of the oxidation? As an example, if you wanted to oxidize 1,4-butanediol to 4-hydroxybutanoic acid, with the conventional with-solvent scheme you could add the oxidizer solution slowly to the substrate solution, assuring there is always an excess of substrate, and with the right stoichiometry, then ensure you get mostly that desired product, with just one alcohol group oxidized. With this solid phase method, it seems you couldn't control this, and you would get much more a mix of both, one, or no alcohol groups oxidized. (And mixes of alcohol/aldehyde/acid.)

My personal interest would be oxidizing 1,3-propanediol to to the di-acid, so it wouldn't matter much for this, but I am curious in general.

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 22:52

I wondered about that too, hence I opted for the with-solvent idea. I always figured that with so much solid oxidant, it would over oxidize for sure, but the paper reports a 95% yield??? :o

[Edit] I am still waiting on my Al2O3 to try the solvent-free method... Definately will post results when available :D

[Edited on 4/19/2009 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top