Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 04:52

What is the concentration of ammonium hydroxide before distilling
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 04:54

If you take 1 litre of lemon juice and boil it until all the water evaporates will citric acid be formed in solid form
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 05:15

No, lemon juice contains a lot of other compounds and boiling down this liquid yields a lot of crap, but no pure citric acid. You most likely need to filter the lemon juice such that you obtain a clear liquid and then should allow to evaporate slowly. Maybe you then get fairly pure crystals of citric acid.

But why take this cumbersome route to this acid. It can be purchased OTC in food stores, especially in stores for selling all kinds of (exotic) spices. The citric acid can be purchased in such stores in crystalline form for just a few euros (dollars) per 100 gram.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 05:43

About 20-30% NH3(ag). It would be slightly more concentrated if you distil, then chill. Whatever you do, concentrated ammonia solution is corrosive, and stinks very, very badly. Also, it is poisonous.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 06:47

I live in a village but it is not developed and here only table salt is available i asked for sour salt to shopkeeper he replied they are hearing this name first time. for what dishes or purposes citric acid is used in cooking. Tell as much you can about citric acid where to buy
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 07:14

It is used for candy making and food preservation. Its at my store in the canning section. So, your having a hard time getting acetone, citric acid. Do up already have the hexamine and peroxide. What is with your holy grail search for organic peroxides? And dont start telling me they are for rocket propellants. I bet you couldn't assemble and launch a chlorate/sugar rocket, let alone a TCAP or HTMD rocket, without it failing.

If you ever do manage to synthesize some organic peroxides, which I doubt, you will be disappointed. They are useless for all but the most k3wl endeavors.

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 07:24

Here is some advice for making citric acid:
1, Get a huge amount of lemon Juice (1 litre)
2, Filter until the liquid is devoid of any non-soluble substances.
3, Boil it down to a smaller size, then filter again.
4, Apply a calcium acetate solution to it.
5, Filter. You should get a precipate of calcium citrate
6, Place the calcium citrate in a flask and apply sulfuric acid (while cooling the solution)
7, In the case of sulfuric acid, carefully pour the unreacted acid away (if concentrated), then dissolve the powder formed in water (if you have dilute sulfuric acid, skip to next step)
8, Filter, then evaporate the solution down. You get a powder that is citric acid.
Note: Use acids that will form insoluble calcium salts only, like sulfuric or oxalic acid. Do not use hydrochloric acid, as it will form soluble CaCl2 that is difficult to get rid of
There, you have (fairly) pure citric acid from lemon juice!
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 20:56

Bot0nist i have prepared hexamine from formaline and ammonium hydroxide i have 6% 20 vol hydrogen peroxide which i buyed from medical store it contains a stabilising agent . I have now 50ml acetone which i made from isopropanol i have prepared acetone peroxide before by using 75 ml h2o2 , 25 ml acetone 98% and 10 ml 8% hcl i let it at 5'c for 10 hours then at 0'c for 20 and then at 5'c for next 10 hours yield was very low only 1 gram acetone peroxide is there any way to increase the yield using the same concentration of material .
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 21:04

Weiming 1998 thanks for telling me the process i read this process in the another thread that citric acid burnt at 70' c for this process of preparing citric acid sulfuric acid of 30% concentration will work as dilute acid
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 00:01

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  
Weiming 1998 thanks for telling me the process i read this process in the another thread that citric acid burnt at 70' c for this process of preparing citric acid sulfuric acid of 30% concentration will work as dilute acid

Only very concentrated (80<;) sulfuric acid has a strong enough dehydrating property to dehydrate the sugar, or citric acid. But, just to be careful, use 50% acid or less. If you only have concentrated acid, dilute by pouring the acid into a set amount of water (not reverse!) As for a minimum amount, any concentration larger than probably 1% will work, but you will need a lot more acid (in terms of volume) if you use, say 5% sulfuric acid.

Also, don't forget to put the solution in a low temperature (10> degrees celsius), just to be sure that the citric acid won't dehydrate.

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by weiming1998]
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 01:43

How much calcium acetate is to be used. I have read in one of the thread on sciencemadness that HMTD can also be prepared by mixing hexamine in acetic acid that is vinegar and yield is good only in one hour what are your views on this process
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 03:14

Acetic acid (dilute solution= vinegar) is not the same thing as calcium acetate! But you can make it by mixing that in sulfuric acid (note how many times I said that something requires sulfuric acid). As I don't have sulfuric acid right now, I have tried to make glacial acetic acid with sodium bisulfate+acetate. The problem is, the acid keeps on vaporizing the moment it is formed, and as I don't have a distillation setup, I cannot collect the vapours.

Anyway, vinegar should be easy enough to come across, but hexamine should be very difficult to come across for you. You might try finding it in stove fuel tablets ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine_fuel_tablet )

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 03:18

Bot0nist i have prepared hexamine from formaline and ammonium hydroxide i have 6% 20 vol hydrogen peroxide which i buyed from medical store it contains a stabilising agent . I have now 50ml acetone which i made from isopropanol i have prepared acetone peroxide before by using 75 ml h2o2 , 25 ml acetone 98% and 10 ml 8% hcl i let it at 5'c for 10 hours then at 0'c for 20 and then at 5'c for next 10 hours yield was very low only 1 gram acetone peroxide is there any way to increase the yield using the same concentration of material .

Using that much acetone, HCl and hydrogen peroxide is extremely dangerous. If it all explodes, then you will be seriously injured. Experiments with acetone peroxide should be done in milligram amounts.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 22:24

Weiming 1998 i wrote that i made hexamine from formaline and ammonia and i am asking that HMTD can be prepared by vinegar or sulphuric acid instead of citric acid because in one of the thread i read that a person prepared HMTD by mixing hexamine in vinegar and than adding h2o2 and the whole process completed in 1 hour so i am asking if this can be done or not
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 23:19

Weiming 1998 i wrote that i made hexamine from formaline and ammonia and i am asking that HMTD can be prepared by vinegar or sulphuric acid instead of citric acid because in one of the thread i read that a person prepared HMTD by mixing hexamine in vinegar and than adding h2o2 and the whole process completed in 1 hour so i am asking if this can be done or not

This said that you were making milligrams< amount of acetone peroxide
"i have prepared acetone peroxide before by using 75 ml h2o2 , 25 ml acetone 98% and 10 ml 8% hcl i let it at 5'c for 10 hours then at 0'c for 20 and then at 5'c for next 10 hours yield was very low only 1 gram acetone peroxide is there any way to increase the yield using the same concentration of material ."

So I was talking about that.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 04:44

Ok fine i got what were you talking about now tell that is HMTD can be prepared with vinegar
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 05:36

I don't even know what HTMD stands for... All the internet says is that it is an explosive and an organic peroxide.

Ok, now I have find out what it stands for. It is hexamethylene triperoxide diamine. According to Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamethylene_triperoxide_diami...), the reaction between hexamine and H2O2 can also be catalyzed by dilute sulfuric acid. No, I do not think vinegar will work, but you'd have to ask someone else for that, I don't have a clue.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 05:47

Ok doesnt matter weiming 1998 you helped me a lot . Thanks for your help . So is there anyone who has prepared HMTD from di ammonium phosphate . Or from vinegar or sulphuric acid.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 05:49

Ok doesnt matter weiming 1998 you helped me a lot . Thanks for your help . So is there anyone who has prepared HMTD from di ammonium phosphate . Or from vinegar or sulphuric acid.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 03:58

can sodium hydroxide be substituted by calcium hydroxide
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 04:01

What do you mean by that? In which reaction?
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 04:26

i meant for making ammonium hydroxide from di ammonium phosphate can sodium hydroxide be substituted by calcium hydroxide
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 04:52

Yes it can. I replied to your U2U. Look there for more details.

[Edited on 11-3-2012 by weiming1998]
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 23:34

Ya i got your u2u and got the information thanks
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 21:00

Finally i have made HMTD from di ammonium phosphate by using it in to prepare ammonium sulphate than the way i mentioned in my first post . Yield is low but satisfying
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top