Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fitting/socket for PL-S lamp
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-3-2008 at 14:36
Fitting/socket for PL-S lamp

I bought a UV-C lamp, which emits most of its energy as radiation at 254 nm. This lamp must be connected to a PL-S fitting, intended for 9W power usage. The lamp looks as follows (except that mine has clear quartz glass instead of the white of the picture).

The lamp I have has two pins.

After buying the lamp I went out to buy a socket, in which this lamp can be put, but to my disappointment, I nowhere can find such a socket, nor in hardware stores, not in specialized shops for lamps and lights. I only can buy complete lamps for lots of euros.

I have no idea at what kind of equipment this could be connected. Could it be connected to a normal 8W ballast coil and starter, used for small 8W 29 cm TL-tubes?

What alternatives do I have for connecting the lamp?

[Edited on 8-3-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 07:31

My advice would be to buy a small UV sterilizer for a fish tank. These come with the same bulb you have, a quartz tube to protect it from the water, and of course the housing contains the correct ballast. I got one of these for making a photo reactor for around 30 GBP, so about 40 euro.

I connected some of those translucent terminal block things cut into singles to the pins of the bulb and ran wires to the housing of sterilizer to reduce the bulk around the bulb. I've glued (hot melt - as it's strong enough and easy to remove) the bulb inside the quartz tube and fitted this to a 50/42 cone (of a reduction adapter) for ease of use. You may be able to get away with 45/40, I don't know about 40/38, but 34/35 sockets cetainly won't pass the quartz tube, though the bulb alone will get through.

Go To Top