Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: Home Chemistry Society
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oooh! Shiny!

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 11:29

I put the star system in place. I shrunk down the stars to 1/4 their original size, which I think looks better. Thanks to Woelen, we have more than one thing to rate.

Sorry len1, your article has been rated R for sexy chemicals.

[Edited on 14-4-2008 by CyrusGrey]

Check out the Home Chemistry Society

My public key: C800 4A08 A3F6 81F7 7187 A1D5 D864 ADD9 8F60 7FA8
I posted my public key block here:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11960
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 17:22

I liked the idea of the flasks for equipment and goggles for safety because it is easier to infer what it means. I had to use the tooltip to see what the stars meant. I suppose that's not a big deal but I think it would look cool and be easier to read.

Great idea, though, Cyrus.

Also, thanks everyone for your continued contributions! I am so proud at how the site is coming along!

EDIT
Also, I think that every time a reagent or formula is mentioned it should be linked to the appropriate page. Well, maybe not every time. What does everyone think?

[Edited on 4-14-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2008 at 15:06

Hey guys, when editing a page on the HCS site, please type a brief synapsis on what changes were made in order to make it easier to locate specific changes and make revisions, corrections or reverts later on.

Thanks!

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 00:25

Isn't there a change history?

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 02:20

Yes, click "recent changes", at the left menu of the main page. It shows all last changes. Default is showing 50 changes, but you can make this more, or less.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 02:34

If you want to take nice freestanding pictures of objects, get yourself a large cardboard box. Turn it 90 degrees on a table so the opening points towards the walls and not up. Now proceed to suspend a white paper from the front bottom to the back "ceiling". Make sure it's long enough so you can put something on it without it sliding off. Make one or two side windows and put some thin opaque plastic or paper in them. This is where you will let your light source shine through from the outside. Now cover the rest of the interior walls with white paper and you're set to take pretty pictures.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 03:15

"Isn't there a change history? "

That was the whole point of my request. That way you don't have to blindly click through all of the page histories.

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 07:41

I recall seeing captions on said change history, at least on the 'real' one [Wikipedia]. That would be enough, no?

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 08:58

I think we should change our reagent lists format. Its just going to be a pain to rewrite the OTC sources, preparation of etc. for each reagent at the corresponding list. Why don't we make the lists simply a list of links to the reagent page. The short descriptions after each link are just going to be a pain because we'll have to type everything twice. I have made one page of the proposed format:
http://www.homechemistry.org/index.php?title=Reagent_Synthes...

Chemkid

CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 09:12

When people are browsing through the list though, it doesn't tell them what reagents are needed for the synthesis. Also, when a more in depth synthesis or multiple syntheses are present, we dont want to clutter up the reagent page with a 2+ page long synthesis. Also, it is not very difficult to copy and paste short lines like that (That do not require a seperate page) when viewing the page source.

As for the issue of page histories, I'm trying to get myself in the habit of using the text box at the bottom for a brief summary per Magic's request.

chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 09:15

Perhaps it would be more useful to list the reagents needed next to the reagent synthesized. Also if we don't want to clutter the reagent page where should we put long synthesises?

[Edited on 19-4-2008 by chemkid]

[Edited on 19-4-2008 by chemkid]

CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 09:20

Which was what I was doing, except I was adding a 1 or 2 line summary of the proccess also. For the syntheses we had up though, we only had 1 or 2 lines. To give an example of a longer one:

[[Link to len1's article]]: [[Sulfur trioxide]] can be synthesized by heating [[Sodium hydrogen sulfate]] at high temperature, though this is difficult and requires specialized equipment.

I just didn't get around to posting it yet. ;)

EDIT: My post doesn't make as much sense after your edits which you did while I was posting. The syntheses were going to be in the category:homemade reagents, while the reagents that were synthesized were going to be in the subcategory synthesized reagents.

P.S. we might try using the Talk: pages next time.

[Edited on 19-4-2008 by CyrusGrey]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 11:47

12AX7, look.

(cur) (last) 04:00, 19 April 2008 Cyrus Grey (Talk | contribs) (2,528 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (last) 03:40, 19 April 2008 Cyrus Grey (Talk | contribs) (2,282 bytes) (Edits after discussion with magic) (undo)
(cur) (last) 22:59, 18 April 2008 MagicJigPipe (Talk | contribs) (1,968 bytes) (Grammatical ans structure changes. Made first letters of chemicals lower case as chemical names aren't proper nouns. Let me know what you think!) (undo)
(cur) (last) 04:22, 12 April 2008 Cyrus Grey (Talk | contribs) (1,208 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (last) 19:33, 11 April 2008 Chemkid (Talk | contribs) (704 bytes) (→Distilled vinegar) (undo)
(cur) (last) 05:11, 11 April 2008 MagicJigPipe (Talk | contribs) m (636 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (last) 05:10, 11 April 2008 MagicJigPipe (Talk | contribs) m (636 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (last) 05:08, 11 April 2008 MagicJigPipe (Talk | contribs) (630 bytes) (added molecular structure) (undo)
(cur) (last) 20:41, 10 April 2008 Cyrus Grey (Talk | contribs) (548 bytes) (New page: Category:OTC Reagents Category:Reagents Acetic acid is most commonly found as a solution in water. It has the formula CH<sub>3</sub>COOH. More rarely it is seen as a pure liquid or...)

Only information that is automatically added is the date and time. Other information must be put in by the editor. So, the "captions" are definitely not enough.

Same thing with "real" Wikipedia.

(cur) (last) 01:00, 17 April 2008 Tombstone (Talk | contribs) m (3,346 bytes) (Undid revision 206143002 by Meople (talk)) (undo)
(cur) (last) 00:48, 17 April 2008 Meople (Talk | contribs) (3,380 bytes) (i have elaborated on a couple sentences and erased unwanted data.) (undo)
(cur) (last) 07:18, 14 April 2008 76.102.94.199 (Talk) (3,346 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (last) 07:10, 14 April 2008 76.102.94.199 (Talk) (2,812 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (last) 23:25, 13 April 2008 68.56.89.79 (Talk) (2,809 bytes) (→Incorrect Usage) (undo)
(cur) (last) 20:12, 12 April 2008 Macys123 (Talk | contribs) m (3,067 bytes) (Reverted edits by 71.126.241.117 (talk) to last version by Dewrad) (undo)
Quote:

P.S. we might try using the Talk: pages next time.

I agree. That should be useful and would reduce the amount of "clutter" on this thread.

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 15:12

I created a special discussion board, associated to the Home Chemistry Society:

http://www.homechemistry.org/forum/index.php

It is a kind of forum, but it is NOT intended for general chemistry discussion (for that purpose we have sciencemadness ;) ). This forum, however, allows us to discuss all kinds of things and it provides a platform for communication between HCS-members.

Unfortunately, I am not able to put a chat system on the website (I have no permision to setup my own executable network services, required for that), but a forum solution should be fine also. Advantage of a forum solution is that all communication remains available, so that we have a log of all discussed things.

The website is not single-signon. So, you also have to register at the forum. Please use the same nickname in the forum as in the wiki. The forum only is open to registered members, guests cannot do anything in the forum, not even read it.

Right now I am the only member (woelen). I am a global moderator on that new forum. I would like to add a few other members as global moderator, so that this task is not for me alone, and so that some form of democracy is created as well. I'll make a few of the first time members global moderator as well, and from that point on, we can further extend the community of trusted members.

The forum allows creation of new groups. We could create a group 'core members' and have these all the power of a global moderator, including the power to add more member to the group of 'core members', but that can be discussed on the new forum ;)

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 18:14

Excellent Woelen!

I set up a vote so we can go ahead and get started with the democratic process! It's a small, semi-trivial issue but I encourage all members to vote.

Please, read the example before voting!

http://www.homechemistry.org/forum/index.php?topic=3.msg5#ms...

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2008 at 09:53

I did the vote, and I propose we go on with discussing HCS-related things on the HCS-forum.

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 21-4-2008 at 08:06

I agree with woelen. This topic has no purpose anymore.

@magicjigpipe that vote is a landslide!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 21-4-2008 at 09:17

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
guests cannot even read it.

Will that not make it look a bit elitist?

P
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-4-2008 at 23:29

This forum is not intended to be a forum like sciencemadness, where all kinds of chemistry things are discussed. The forum only is intended to be used as a communication platform for people who (intend to) contribute to the HCS in whatever way. In this we discuss things like the grammar of texts in the HCS website, what kinds of experiments can be added, technical issues in the wiki, etc. Also things about the organisation of the HCS can be discussed over here. The HCS wiki page is the public front end of the organisation, the forum is meant for internal discussion between members and is not interesting for the occasional visitor of the website, who only brows the site but has no active participation.

And if you really are interested, registration can be done with a few mouse clicks and filling in a simple form.

[Edited on 22-4-08 by woelen]

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 02:15

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
And if you really are interested, registration can be done with a few mouse clicks and filling in a simple form.

But it means yet another ID & PW to track, and another e-mail address to set up, which is why I've not bothered joining in. And yes, those all are needed. I've had several e-mail accounts get ruined when the "never give out e-mail" site gave out e-mails, in many cases because there was a change in the site owners. In several cases the site was compromised through one attack or another and the e-mail information ended up on spam lists. I really don't need any more body parts enlargement ads or messages from nice shy girls who want to show me their nude photos, it's easiest to just scratch the e-mail for that site and not have to do it for a bunch of other sites.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 03:08

I mean, if you're not willing to register and/or post on the board then what's the big deal? Most of the time you can't post on boards without registering. If you don't wish to participate I assure you the board will be of little interest.

You have to sign up for the Wiki page, as well.

How would you be a member of the organization without signing up for something? Just because you don't want to risk the possibility of a little spam? I mean, how often do websites get taken over by people who distribute your information? Then, how often can you not just send the spam to your junk mail folder?

No offense but it seems like kind of a flimsy excuse.

So.... Be cool, sign up. Free hat!

[Edited on 4-22-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 06:55

From the Wiki - Wikipedia:
Quote:
You are not currently logged in. Editing this way will cause your IP address to be recorded publicly in this page's edit history. If you create an account, you can conceal your IP address and be provided with many other benefits.

Meaning for most pages you need not register, although I did when they started having problems but by then they were a proven establishment.

I've lost over 15 e-mail addresses to web sites that were known to have been compromised, about half that to sites that changed or ignored their privacy policies that I could prove had done so; may have been more from before I started using one e-mail ID per site so I could check.

Spam filters aren't that effective, and have a tendency to treat actual mailings from list-serve or web-board software as spam if you tighten them up too much.
Because of this for the first few occurrences I had to go through all the other places that also used that e-mail and switch them over to a new address, annoying when you have to do that for 20 or 30 sites.

Simple registration isn't a problem, it's the e-mail requirement now that I'm not running my own domain.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 07:51

How spam-snobby could you possibly be? I do almost everything through my primary e-mail account, which gets under ten spams a day. I delete them and go on with my life! Seems to me if you have a problem with filters deleting listserv messages, and you've already got thirty accounts, why not route them to a thirty-first?

Sigh...why bother, people who do illogical things aren't usually worth trying to persuade with logic. I digress. What was this thread about anyway, let's go back to talking about that.

Tim

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 08:27

Well, I suppose I just don't see what the big deal is. I have 3 email accounts and I sign up for LOTS of stuff. I barely get 2-3 pieces of junk mail a day which are routed into the junk mail folder. I periodically check the junk mail folder and only a handful of times have I ever had a legitimate e-mail end up in there.

I think the key is (just like with junk snail mail) to just be smart about what you sign up for. Most places have a box to uncheck so you don't receive a bunch of crap mail. The only junk mail I EVER get is something that I accidently signed up for or when I bought something. Buying stuff seems to cause the majority of junk mail.

I suppose you are just picky about having junk mail come to your e-mail address. I haven't had 30 e-mail addresses in my entire life! How can you possibly sign up for ANYTHING online without using your e-mail? I can't recall one thing that didn't require it.

Have you seen the amount of vandalism and sabotage that must be reversed on an hourly basis at Wikipedia? That's why we don't want "fly-by-nighters" on the site.

I just don't consider the off chance that homechemistry.org gets taken over by spammers reason enough to not sign up (if it does, just block the spammers). How do you get anything done online if you are that paranoid of spam?

P.S. I don't even have the spam filters on "tight" security and I still don't get enough junk mail for it to interfere significantly (and I sign up for more stuff than the average person, I'm sure). It's just not a big deal to me. That's why I don't understand your situation.

Perhaps you are just unlucky.

Like I said, no offense, I just don't understand.

Shall we move on?

[Edited on 4-22-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 09:07

If you're seeing 10 or fewer spams per day, you're very, very lucky. I used a one-off address when I signed up for Yahoo Groups, and by the time I pulled the plug on that address, it ALONE was getting more than 10 spams per day.

When I sign up for a new discussion board or Wiki, you'd better believe I use a one-off address. Most, like Sciencemadness, don't cause problems -- I haven't yet received any unsolicited email on this address. But every once in a while, there's one like the forum I joined at U-Mich, where my signup address was getting pummeled with spam within a few hours of my first post. It turned out they'd attached my unobscured email address to my post. Any address that gets posted on the Web will sooner or later be harvested for spam lists.

Thanks to my habit of using unique addresses each time I register with a merchant or online site, I learned that my online brokerage was leaking personal information long before they owned up to it. I've seen that most online merchants protect their address lists carefully, but one or two have apparently been caught by viruses or Trojans that harvest address books.

Unfortunately, I wasn't so careful about giving out addresses to friends and family, and I sometimes forget to change the "Reply-to" and "From" addresses when I send out email correspondence. As a result, my "real" email has leaked, and I now get tens of spams a day directed to it. I can change it, but that will entail more disruption than I'd like.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top