Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toxcity of explosives?
lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2008 at 19:04
Toxcity of explosives?

I was wondering with all the information out there not much is always said about the toxic nature these compounds? For example picric acid sounds like you need a resperator and rubber gloves to handle death and liver failure can happen from skin contact absobttion. While Ap is said on some sights to be non toxic (I not sure if I would trust this).. Mekp Is never mentioned if it is aborbed through skin contact but suspect it would be. Any finally nitro I see lots of info about headaches it causes but can prolonged skin contact be deadly? Then rdx and petn both of which I know the dust of rdx is said to be toxic but is it absorbed through skin as well like picric acid?
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 01:36

it all depends on the the Nitro compound to be honest, but Many are known to act as vasodilators (hence the headaches), GTN will have this effect either by inhalation or skin contact, hence you can have GTN medication as a spray to breathe or a tablet that goes under the tongue.

some Nitrites will do this also.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
enthalpy
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 11:49

In general: if you handle peroxides, the toxicity is the last thing you should worry about! Although MEKP is known to be quite harmful if ingested (sknincontact!). Peroxide radicals are not that pleasant! (antidodte: vitamines)
The toxicity of picric acid is caused by two important factors:
a) Nearly all nitroarenes are metabolized to aromatic amines (with nitrogroups). These compunds are really dangerous (eg picramic acid).
b) if the aromatic ring itself is metabolized, toxic and carcinogenic epoxides are formed (thus most aromatic nitro explosives are carcinogenic too!)
Organic nitrates (like glycerine trinitrate alias NG) are toxic too but in anotzher way. They reduce blood pressure (because blood vessels are expanded. -> headache similar to that of migraine). Most people can acclimate to nitroesters and thus can handly NG without gettin the headaches.
Do you have access to Urbanski? Al important expls. have a chapter "Toxicity".
-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 00:42

Sorry for giving CPR To an old topic but I have data to share. I have performed quite a few tox tests on myself for the good of science. Only small amounts and with loads of activated charcoal, distilled water, coffee and a phone nearby. ETN is not toxic but gave me a bit of a headache, less than nitroglycerin or myrol though. That was taken orally. Myrol gave me a headache in close contact so it was not taken orally. Nitro gave a headache orally. By accident I ingested less than a gram of purified TCAP with no ill effects except excessive worryin about my stomach exploding. Eating a gram of ammonium nitrate had no ill effect. I didnt go any further than that and recorded it.

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 10:07

people use dinitrophenol as a weight loss aid and take
grams of the stuff orally. Not very smart but most don't
die from it. I'm not sure why picric acid woud be that
much more toxic than DNP.

When they write the MSDS on these things they need to
worry about "industrial situations" where people may
work with tons of the stuff every day.

If your smart and only make a few grams of these things
and are careful the worst you will wind up with is some yellow stains on your fingers, but I doubt that more than a few miligrams or so make it into your blood. Very few things are toxic at this level for one time exposure.
enthalpy
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 23:35

Ingesting selfmade chemicals (explosives) is not really smart in my eyes. Think of darwin is watching you! You tried esters of nitric acid. Some are quite toxic (acute) like methyl nitrate. But as you said the headache warns you nearly instantly. I would not put them on the same level as aromatic nitros. When is comes to polynitrated armonatics such as DNP the danger is much greater. First you can read dozens of reports where DNP was taken (orally) to burn fat and ended deadly. DNP seems to have a cumulative effekt and besides that it cant be to good for your genes. Maybe these chemicals arnt that toxic in acute state but can cause cancer, mutations etc.
Urbanski mentions that there were many deadly poisonings with DNP in WW I (France). Within 3 months 277 workers died. It is also said that some people are more resistant against DNP than others (same for NG and others).
Piciric acid is less toxic than DNP but the TNP made from ASA, XNO3 and boiled down battery acid for shure contains enough MNP, DNP and other (maybe) toxic stuff to be quite toxic.

Go To Top