Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cleaning corroded aluminum and/or epoxy
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 02:15

There cannot be any airflow as the hard drive is going into a dense foam silencing enclosure. I'm using watercooling to decrease noise, not improve cooling.
This setup was identical with my old hard drive and worked fine, but as the thermal compound had cured I obviously couldn't reuse it.

[Edited on 10-5-2008 by Nixie]

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 02:31

It doesn't look like you'll get above 9 W/m K even using heavy silver loading of selected organics. Diamond might double or triple that, put would seem to be an area for research rather than "known good - do it"

You might make a cast of the space to fill, then a negative of that to replicate the open space. Fill it with a low melting alloy to get a metal 'plug' for that space. Lay down a thin layer of the thermal transfer mix/gorp on the drive, let it cure to form a barrier. Cover that with another thin layeer of gorp, drop in the metal plug *which have a flat top, That'll boost thermal conductivity several hundredfold.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top