Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Collaborative experimentation preparations
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 05:11
Collaborative experimentation preparations

There have been many occasions when the experiments of an SM member stimulate others to perform similar experiments,
I often think "I fancy trying that" but I do not have something required to immediately participate.
(a particular reactant, solvent or piece of equipment)
and waiting for stuff to arrive from China kills the fun and makes collaboration slow.

So

If any member has one or more experiments planned months into the future,
that may be interesting to others, or may benefit from collaboration,
I for one would almost certainly be interested in participating in some projects.

Although there are many experiments on my mental to-do list,
none of them seem particularly original, or interesting to others.

Feel free to use this thread to look for collaborators, or make new topics.
Remember that what may seem trivial to some may be excting exploration for others.
Any interest ?

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 06:01

Hmmm -- let me list the collaborative projects that have been undertaken in the past.

We had
  • refractory carbon from bread
  • thumpers for ethanol distillation (althought that may have been discussion only.)
  • the fire without matches project

I can't think of any others but there may have been some.

Why don't you suggest and idea and call for collaborators. Depending on what it is, I could be in.
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 10:03

I'm currently writing a "paper" with the aim to publish it in the slowly-being-developed sciencemadness journal. I'm guessing the spam issue is what is preventing work on that, and reasonably so.
The paper I am working on is a summation of the work done in the Make Potassium thread, and the series of videos by NurdRage over on YouTube about making sodium. There a few simple experiments that I would like to do, but lack the time/resources to do them, and would add so much to the body of work already done.
These experiments are:

• Running the experiment, recovering the white magnesium oxide/hydroxide slag, and confirming via gravimetry that it is oxide or hydroxide, or a mixture
  • If oxide, confirm that potassium t-alkoxide will dehydrate magnesium hydroxide to oxide
  • That potassium t-alkoxide (eg/ie t-butoxide) will react with magnesium to form potassium metal
  • That magnesium t-alkoxide will react with potassium hydroxide to give magnesium oxide/hydroxide and potassium t-alkoxide
  • Test triglyme (dimethyl triethylene glycol ether) as solvent!
  • Also if someone has lithium, rubidium, or caesium hydroxide lying around, it would be interesting to see if any of these work.

I would be quite willing to attach the current version of my work if people would like to see it.

[Edited on 12-11-2018 by 12thealchemist]

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 12:27

Excellent idea Sulaiman

And right on time since today I received my order from Onyxmet :D

Mad Scientists, we are going to prove diamonds are NOT forever !

I already have several "experiments" in mind, some will only be a confirmation of what basic chemistry tells us but for some others... well I'm not so sure of the results.
The biggest of my diamonds will probably burn in oxy-propane. Others will be heated in an O2 atmosphere (how much? how long? etc.)
I was thinking also about molten salts or liquids. I have several ideas and also test tube racks to spare :)

Oh, and 1.5grams of very small diamonds to turn into CO2 while documenting the results !!!
Some of the experiments are totally expected to result in a "oh shit" + cleaning.
The idea is to make a small "repository" of "what happens when you do this or that to a diamond" not to measure gas evolution over time etc.

I'll create the topic soon.

Go To Top