Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aerosolized Zinc Found
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 12:51
Aerosolized Zinc Found

I've found something that may be of interest to forum members; it is a Cold Galvanizing Spray that is quite OTC. When sprayed on something (likely anything) it deposits a layer of over 90% metallic zinc. The contents of the can are listed as (in order of prevalence):

Zinc
Propane
Butane
Methyl Ethyl Ketone
Toulene
64742-89-8 VMP Naphtha
64742-89-8 Lt. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent

Obvious uses include those of the pyrotechnic variety, including perhaps a convenient way of making thermite mixtures. It is listed as being resistant to weathering and moisture, also as being able to provide a sacrificial anode, suggesting that it is electrically conductive.

My first test of it was applying to a plant leaf, I have not done conductivity tests yet, however it does seem to adhere, which may open up possibilities for electroforming.

The brand is Krylon, product listing should be Industrial Cold Galvanizing Spray (Zinc Rich Primer 1350.)

Update: Electrical conductivity tests completed, though not looking all that lovely, readings range from 5 megaohms to 15 megaohms. Perhaps another coat, or a displacement reaction...hmmm. Those clever Tin Chloride tricks may be better for electroforming experiments, instead.

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 21:26

I once tried an aerosol Al spray for fine powered Al for thermite.
Unfortunately, even though by mass, it was almost all Al, the surface area of the particles was just too great, so it was impossible to remove the polymer. Electrical conductivity was like nonexistent too.... meh... It made a nice paint.. lol

Though good luck with the zinc spray :)

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 04:46

I have tryed this as well.
have a go at spraying the spray directly into a shallow bath of acetone.
when i did this i got an extremly fine powder (zinc i guess :P) and i filtered it out.
i was able to use the zinc for the reaction with sulphur but it wouldnt work with thermite.
maybe there was too much polymers in there still.
Have you tryed washing it several times?
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 11:57

Perhaps wash with acetone than ethanol? May remove some organics.

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 18:22

I tried all the dipolar solvents available to me. Ethyl acetate, EtOH, IPA, acetone...

I didnt have any non-polar solvents with me back then (this was several years ago in highschool), so someone can give that a shot. Though I think it's most likely not worth it as a source of powder.

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 12:59

I have also found something similar around 1 year ago. I sprayed in in paint thinner and filtered. I got a very fine Zn powder which worked in Zn/S (but it burned strangely, slower than wit coarse zinc made by filling down a piece of Zn and the smoke created was actually a cloud of some nets that were each around 0.5-1 cm in diameter). It also worked very good in a KMnO4/S/Zn mixture.

I also found some Al containing paint (both spray and ordinary paint). The Al was also very fine. It burned when mixed with sulfur, but strangely it didn't do well in a KMnO4/S/Al mix (or the same without S) if not mixed in the right proportions. If made right it would go off in a flash, if not it would only burn slowly and most times not completely.

Go To Top