Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Extracting lead from car batteries
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 16:09

Charcoal will reduce lead above red heat, so you'll have to superheat it quite a bit. A flux may help (seperate metal from oxide and oxide reduction), for which borax might be suitable. I don't think you want to mess around with a silica based slag which melts up around yellow heat (gague being silica based, this is of course the choice of primary lead smelters). A steel crucible should be fine (lead does not dissolve iron appreciably), but may react with molten or dissolved oxides (slag, etc.).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 02:52

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
He's going to BLOW IT UP. You think the lead will stay nicely in place?

Yes it will. As I said it will be buried. So the parts will remain in the ground and we will recover them.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 11:23

Some other uses of Pb: It could be rolled into sheets and used as flashing in roofing, or for a corrosion-resistant roof made entirely of Pb sheet; oxidized by heating in air to PbO and this used in glass-making to make heavy "crystal" glass (about 30 to 35% PbO, especially useful for paperweights and heavy glass vessels less easily tipped over) or as a white paint and glaze pigment if TiO2 cannot be obtained; or oxidized further to Pb3O4 ('red lead"), and this used as a pigment in paints and glazes, as a fungicide, and as a seed coating to discourage birds from eating the seeds.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2008 at 09:44

I found this link yesterday.
http://www.pyrobin.com/files/thermit(e)%20journal.pdf

It had a section on using lead sulfide ore (Galena) with aluminum to produce pure lead. I don't recommend doing this with lead battery components as it may be a little TOO successful and fast. But the interesting part was if they used a little extra aluminum with the sulfide it remained as ball on top of the lead after the reaction, and was 'hard'. They are actually trying to produce Aluminum Sulfide. Here is the text:

"The presence of sulphide of lead as an impurity is guarded against by keeping a slight excess of aluminium in the charge, which excess of metal will be found after casting the molten product as a hard, brittle, and easily detachable button on the surface of the lead. Aluminium will not alloy with lead, but it will form alloys with iron, silicon, copper, silver, gold, &c. The excess of metallic aluminium therefore performs the double function of keeping the sulphide of aluminium pure, and of removing all iron, copper, &c., from the lead, giving to the latter remarkable purity and softness. Further, by judiciously mixing the aluminium and the galena, this excess button removes any precious metals which may be contained in the sulphide of lead, much in the same manner as zinc desilverizes lead in the Parkes process. (The addition of a small percentage of aluminium to the zinc used in the Parkes process permits of a higher temperature being used ; it prevents the format on of oxide or zinc and effects better separation of the precious metals."

So lead can be purified by mixing it with molten aluminum. This is a little inconvenient as the temperature is above what a normal lead pot will produce, but it is easily available with aluminum casting equipment. I wonder what the vapor pressure of lead is at the melting point of aluminum? I know from personal experience that any zinc in a lead pot will cause problems. The zinc causes the lead to have a 'skin' which interferes with mold filling and pouring.

[Edited on by Mr. Wizard]

Attachment: ALUMINIUM AS A HEATING AND REDUCING AGENT. BY DR. HANS GOLDSCHMIDT AND CLAUDE VAUTIN .pdf (63kB)
This file has been downloaded 716 times

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top