Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magnesia crucible
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 23-5-2008 at 19:21
Magnesia crucible

Is it OK to melt aluminum in a magnesia crucible? I also have a graphite crucible but I'm just using the crappiest charcoal-briquettes-in-a-coffee-can-and-a-blower furnace, so there'd be too much oxygen for the graphite.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 23-5-2008 at 20:44

I don't see why not. Seems awfully expensive though. And what about when it breaks? (Around charcoal I feel it's a "not if but when"...)

Graphite doesn't burn very fast at aluminum temperatures, even in pure air.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2008 at 21:07

I used mineral wool between the inner and outer coffee can, and the wool melted :(

On the other hand, so did the aluminum, though I can't figure out how to cast it. I just poured it onto some sand. I have some clay but it's not refractory and it's dried out. Soaking it in water trying to restore it.

There are some stains on the crucible inside but pretty minor. Will probably wash away with HCl.

Also black dots on my hands from flying sparks. Need to find leather gloves.

[Edited on 23-5-2008 by Nixie]

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
leu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 21:58

A simple internet search found these URL's:

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9611/Binczewski-9611.ht...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_casting

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/waygat/castingfoundrylathe/id3...

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/

US4480681 discusses some fairly advanced methods of creating complex castings, but it's apparently unavailable from esp@net so you'll have to get it elsewhere :o Mr Binczewski's solution for fueling the aluminum foundry in such a challenging environment is rather ingenious :D

[Edited on 25-5-2008 by leu]

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 23:22

Unfortunately, I had no tongs so I used pliers to hold the crucible. So it cracked, and when I was washing it broke apart. At least I managed to cast the aluminum.

Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 17:27

I'll be shopping for new crucibles soon. Does someone know what chemical resistivity differences there are there between the common types, magnesia, alumina, and zirconia? They all seem to be about the same in terms of temperature handling, but I'm wondering if it might be useful having more than one type with some being resistant to chemicals that others are not, and the converse. Also, the cheapest places to buy small ones (under 100 mL).
By the way, I've seen sapphire crucibles, and I'm wondering if single-crystal version of the magnesia and zirconia have been used as well. The sapphire certainly seems to have a good deal higher temperature rating, and I'm guessing corrosion resistance as well. Does that improvement generalize to the other oxides?

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 20:36

Zirconia. It will waste a maximal amount of your money.

Steel cans are sufficient for aluminum.

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 21:13

I wasn't talking about aluminum. I finished what I needed with that. I meant what I can use for the broadest range, not waste maximum money.

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 00:15

Well clay-graphite suffices for all general foundry use.

If you're melting something like titanium, magnesia would probably be the way to go, as zirconia and alumina probably react to some extent, changing the alloy.

Tim

Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 00:19

What temp is that good to before the graphite starts oxidizing significantly? If I build an arc furnace, there will be hot spots significantly higher than the overall crucible temperature I'd be trying to reach.

[Edited on 26-5-2008 by Nixie]

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 02:23

The graphite burns off the outer surface as intended. This is why they are suitable for aluminum, bronze, iron, steel and so on.

Arc furnaces typically don't have crucibles, at least not traditional crucibles. Tell more about your intended use.

Tim

Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 02:34

Casting metals is just a part of this. Among various things, I'm interested in trying out alloys that are resistant to high temperature in air or plasma. I figured I could cover more ground by making them myself than trying to obtain samples without any certificate. I do realize I probably won't be able to melt tungsten in any crucible I can afford heh.

I've been working a bit more on the plasma speakers. What I find is that the MHCD hole gets bigger as the metal erodes too quickly (I'm using the Pt plating baked on W instead of Ta based on that patent that was mentioned around here a while back).

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 04:03

Well that's easy: tungsten, carbides or water-cooled copper, or any combination thereof. Cheap, easy? Of course not. Note cooling only addresses melting, vaporization and corrosion to some extent, not sputtering.

Tim

Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 16:29

Tungsten burns. The platinum plated version I used lasts better but still. I plated it with platinum black and an acquaintance baked it in an inert atmosphere, according to patent 4240878 (but the patent uses tantalum as the substrate, which I didn't have). I think some oxygen diffuses through the platinum anyway during operation, and the plating might keep diffusing through the substrate due to the heat (probably melts at the hottest area too, hard to make out without proper magnification). I'm guessing need a non-layered material to avoid this. I thought of conductive ceramics, but it would have to have high heat conductivity. I heatsinked the electrodes by clamping to copper bars, but since the heat is concentrated at the 1 mm diameter microhollows, doesn't help that much (my setup is the same three electrode one I described on diyaudio a couple of years ago). Maybe I should use burned natural gas instead of air, but my whole point for using MHCD instead of simple cathodes is to avoid needing a tank of gas, like the original Plasmatronic speakers which had a helium tank.

Other than this issue, it does work good though--reproduces sound and I didn't hear noise or distortion, but I didn't measure response or anything. No idea how to design a housing around it that minimizes diffraction and other problems, and whether should make it dipole or not. I wonder if there's any simulation software that models the wave equation to enough detail to have a good design without building trial and error. I know HRTF has been found by simulation from laser scan of head, so it should be doable, but I found no place to download the software described in such papers. Can always write it from scratch but it's a big project.

The problem of UV seems to have no solution; I don't want to use horns which is the one way they could be blocked without cutting off direct openness to the air. Just not staring at it I guess.

I don't think NOx and O3 are big issues. I didn't smell much, and I'll just add a vent system to outside.

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 23:51

I suspect you're looking at somewhat fancy composite structures if you want to use metals. Copper core with built-in heat pipes, clad in several mm of a resistant alloy, with that protected by diffusion alloying using molten salt electrolysis to form a gradient from base cladding to surface alloy. Or a cladding of resistant alloy that forms a very tight oxide coating.

I think you'd do best with a conductive ceramic oxide over a metal base; plasma in air just makes for a lot of active species to much on you electrodes, why try to fight oxidation when you can start out oxidised. Design the electrode so the is a longer path to the exposed metal that can be used to carry the discharge until the ceramic is warmed up and takes over.

It would be worth investigating the ceramics used in high temperature fuel cells as a starting point. ZrO2 based ceramics are commonly used. For this application, where actual oxygen transport is not important, lithium doped nickel oxide and Al-Cr mixed oxides both can be made to be somewhat conductive at room temperature. Of course ceramics are more difficult to fabricate, and can have thermal expansion issues,

As 12AX7 noted, the plasma environment has many ways of attacking the surface of the electrodes, simple oxidation and melting aren't the only problem.

Here's an example of a high temperature oxidation resistant alloy

Attachment: High Temperature Oxidation behavior of a new NiCrMoSi Alloy.pdf (440kB)
This file has been downloaded 666 times

Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 23:53

I can't seem to be able to download the attachment. If I just click it, it loads the file as a bunch of gibberish text in the browser window. If I right-click and "Save As" instead, Firefox asks me to save viethread.php and stalls before it reaches the expected 440 KB...

Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2008 at 00:35

Thanks, it worked when I gave it enough time.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:28

Go To Top