Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: a tale from the ug days at the big U
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 18:59
a tale from the ug days at the big U

We were given oil baths, corks and glass with stems. It was ugly in the ug labs at the big U. Professor R made everybody heat his oil bath up at the same time. The procedure called for placing the sep/addition funnel on top of the condenser. No flame was allowed once the ether was poured. I came prepared; I had iodine. I brought a turkey baster and an ice bucket. I got some freshly distilled ether from another lab. I didn't heat my oil. I used water from the hot water tap instead. I didn't screw around with the goofy setup. I put my addition funnel in the side neck where it belonged. I put my Mg in the flask, poured in a little ether and got all the air out before starting my condenser water. I put an I2 crytsal in the Mg, ran in a little of the concentrated halide/ether mix and it turned reddish brown and started refluxing right away. The solvent quickly started overrunning the condenser and the ice and turkey baster came into play. I was leaving when almost everybody was starting to get the reaction going. Some guys never got it to go .. there were always those guys..

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 21:21

Yeah, there were always guys who couldn't boil water in the practical labs.

I hope they all married Stepford wives (or stepford husband) who would make coffee for them.

And have stepford secretaries at the office.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 03:26

Turkey baster?? I don't recall using or needing a turkey baster :P

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 11:23

" I don't recall using or needing a turkey baster "
That could start a thread all of its own, possibly more biology than chemistry. ;-)
When I was a student we were expected to do most practical work in pairs. I found a totally hamfisted partner. I did the practical work- he did the writeup- I copied it. It seemed like a sensible agreement .

[Edited on 4-6-08 by unionised]

Go To Top