Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water Bridge?
ssdd
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 21-6-2008 at 04:56
Water Bridge?

So I recently stumbled upon this image:

Now the setup for something like this calls for two beakers of high purity water to be placed next to each other, then to run a very high charge into the water. Now I have the beakers and the voltage (I recently built a voltage multiplier capable of 800kV: http://scienceunderground.110mb.com/projects/8.php )

But I was wondering what purity water would be needed to do this, and how would I obtain that purity?

Thanks
-ssdd

All that glitters may not be gold, but at least it contains free electrons.
-- John Desmond Baernal
http://deepnorth.info/
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2008 at 05:11

That's water between the two beakers? Impressive!

Maybe fractionnating dimineralized water would be enough?

EDIT:

From "Purification of laboratory chemicals"

Quote:

Water [7732-18-5] M 18.0 , B 100.0°C Conductivity water (specific conductance ca. 10-7 mho) can be obtained by distilling water in a steam-heated tin-lined still, then, after adding 0.25% NaOh and 0.05% KMnO4, distilling once more form a electricallly heated Barnstead-type still, taking the middle fraction into a Jena glass bottle. During these operations, suitable traps must be used to protect against entry of CO2 and NH3. Water only a little less satisfactory for conductivity measurements (but containing traces of organic material) can be obtained by passing ordinary distilled water through a mixed bed ion-exchange column containing, for example Amberlite resin IR 120 (cation exchange) and IRA 400 (anion exchange) or Amberlite MB-1. This treatment is also a convienient one for removing traces of heavy metals. (The metals Cu, Zn, Pb, Cd and Hg can be tested for by adding pure concentrated ammonia to 10mL sample and shaking vigorously with 1.2mL 0.001% dithizone in CCl4. Less than 0.1 ug metal ion with impair a faint colour to the CCl4 layer.) For almost all laboratory purposes, simple water yields water of adequate purity, and most of the volatil contaminants such as ammonia and CO2 are removed if the first fraction of distillate is discarded.

So I guess a simple fractionnation could be tried, and if the results are not conclusive, further treatment applied.

[Edited on 21-6-2008 by Klute]

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr

Go To Top