Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RED P question
PyroRA
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 14:15
RED P question

This question stems from an argument between me and my brother who has his head up his ass because he studies pseudo-science from unreliable websites,

He says that red P auto ignites when it comes in contact with water, thats what caused me to get a huge blister on my hand (coupled with its supposed hygroscopy) he says they have to store it under inert liquid

could someone please state their credentials, and point out hes thinking of a different allotrope, or hes just dumb? all he does is point that I`m the idiot with a !@#$ed hand

He does this all the time and ends up convincing my mom that I will make mustard gas on accident, she just in the middle of this post lectured me and told me "until you get responsible, Im not buying of these dangerous chemicals for you" (way to go mom encourage your sons interest in SCIENCE), please help me out he just impedes me again and again please guys

well I realize the !@#$up on my part, and I admit it, but its a mistake I will learn from and a chemistry mistake I plan to grow on, also its really annoying i gotta drain the blisters and redress them 3 times a day, so I will do a bit more research on things like this before I blow my hand completely off, and in all reality I was trying to make my AN(I got half a pound) useful, unknowingly in doing so I created something similar to armstrongs mix, so yeah Theres definitely a good deal of mistake on my part, exemplifying my lack of knowledge of this nature,

also bit of a question, it stained my fingernail red, and I can`t get it off with water and soap or rubbing alcohol, what do I do?

[Edited on 29-6-2008 by PyroRA]

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Stop getting lucky, get informed!

Start learning chemistry BEFORE messing around. It will allow you to counter your brothers pseudoscience with a credible rebuttal and improve your science grades significantly. All you need to do is read & search. It's really that easy.

My science grades are straight b pluses, I got a 49/50 on my last midterm and a 47/50 on my final exam, here in America school is pointless, its incredibly easy and all the major tests, all you have to do is score higher then the lowest 40 % of all test scores, that coupled with the decaying Average American IQ, the standards are dropping, the stupidity is increasing, and the curriculum is accommodating it. Last year the only thing I learned about was some stuff in astronomy, I aced every test on Electromagnetism, radiant energy, waves and particles, and physics, and it wasn't challenging, I will admit though my grades suck at math because I rarely do homework/makeup work, but I did really well on the exams so they passed me, social studies is the same and Language arts I barely passed for the same reason. I`m a perfect example of shows potential but lacks effort, I care about getting a diploma and adequate college degree, aside from that I view it as a faulty education system that I have to spend 7 hours every day in, only motivation to actually come is friends and a few cool teachers.

garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 14:31

Red P does not autoignite with water. It can even be stored under water advantageously for that matter.

But it does form highly sensitive explosive mixtures that can autoignite with many oxidisers. Ammonium nitrate is certainly not an exception!

The fact that you burned your hand with such a mixture shows that you are indeed lacking proper information and don't know what's dangerous and what's not.
Pyrotechnic mixtures with red P should not be prepared at all!

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 15:20

Even the more reactive allotrope, white phosphorus is stored under water to prevent it from autoigniting in the atmosphere (as it can be pyrophoric). As garage chemist says mixtures of red phosphorus with an oxidising material can be explode with friction (and impact). The are many safer pyrotechnics to be "playing" with, but proper safety should be the first concern.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 18:52

Quote:
He does this all the time and ends up convincing my mom that I will make mustard gas on accident, she just in the middle of this post lectured me and told me "until you get responsible, Im not buying of these dangerous chemicals for you" (way to go mom encourage your sons interest in SCIENCE), please help me out he just impedes me again and again please guys
Quote:

I would suggest that you go in for some nice, safe chemistry. There is plenty of preparative chemistry involving non toxic and non inflammable chemicals that yield interesting results.
When you can handle these things in a competent way you can think about moving on.
If you want to do phosphorous chemistry in a serious way then your only real route forward is a postgraduate studentship in a university lab or similar.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 03:01

Quote:
Originally posted by PyroRA

He says that red P auto ignites when it comes in contact with water, thats what caused me to get a huge blister on my hand (coupled with its supposed hygroscopy) he says they have to store it under inert liquid

it sounds like he`s gotten confused with Sodium or the other Alkali metals below it.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 03:57

PyroRA
I been where you are now. Believe me its not fair. Many misinformed people already have prejudice against chemicals and when you have an accident or do something silly that gets the cops called, that only reinforces the misinformed prejudice against chemistry. Compounding the issue is your age. When you make mistakes with chemicals and you are young, then its an issue of concern.

You might try doing chemistry around the house that is directly beneficial. Demonstrate how certain chemicals can be used benefically. I once cleaned a shower with citric acid and butyl cellusolve and my landlord was thoroughly impressed. One thing that can get confidence is getting into chemistry related crafts. Make soaps, ceramics, tie dye t-shirts, hydroponics, gold plating & etc etc. When you produce usefull or even sellabel products, you have more bargaining power.

Fellow molecular manipulator
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 05:16

Another fantastic piece of art, in which a lot of interesting chemistry is involved, is (black and white) photography. Making your own developers, fixers, toners and experimenting with the chemistry, the optics and the artistic side of this is great. This is what brought me into chemistry.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 06:29

Stop getting lucky, get informed!

Start learning chemistry BEFORE messing around. This saves you injury, rightful chastising by your parents and possible prosecution. It will also allow you to counter your brothers pseudoscience with a credible rebuttal and improve your science grades significantly. All you need to do is read & search. It's really that easy.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top