Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flashpowder fuels?
PyroRA
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 08:05
Flashpowder fuels?

I was just reading a Thermite thread and it brought something to my attention. The only fuels I have seen used in Flash compositions are aluminum, magnesium and magnalium, but what I want to know is what other metals would work well with which oxidizers? Is aluminum, magnesium, and magnalium just used for availability? So basically since you guys actually understand these extensive dragged out chemical formulas for reactions, could you explain this to me?

what would react with the best results with which metals/alloys
KNO3
KCIO3
KCIO4
KMNO4
NH4NO3 - (I have yet to see a good flash comp made with AN)
(any other powerful oxidizers good for this?)

what I wanna know is what is the supreme holy flash composition, that could rival AP (mother of satan)?

This is out of curiosity! I wont mess with this crap, I am curious as to its use in demolition. I would love to hear of a flash mix replacing ANFO and TNT.

Also, keep in mind where sensitizers come in to play (Sulfur, Red P)

[Edited on 30-6-2008 by PyroRA]

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
You don't sound very sincere as far as chemistry goes. You should know by now we are interested in chemistry more than pyrotechnics or drugs. I must complement you on your effort to write the most badly phrased run-on sentence, however. That was quite impressive.

Due to lack of care it was meant to be just a jumble of statements separated by commas, but I will fix it for your sensitivity to language thats only punctuated to the extent that its understandable. Also haven't you ever heard the phrase "spelling/punctuation police are virgins"

Also F.Y.I. I put this here because the people at actual pyrotechnics forums have no idea what their talking about when it comes to these reactions. So think of this as an energetics thread, and don't be such a blunt dick, It's not "sincere".

[Edited on 30-6-2008 by PyroRA]

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 08:07

maybe phosphorus?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 08:30

You don't sound very sincere as far as chemistry goes. You should know by now we are interested in chemistry more than pyrotechnics or drugs. I must complement you on your effort to write the most badly phrased run-on sentence, however. That was quite impressive.

A simple look at the periodic table and some other tables (reduction potentials come to mind) suggests some possibilities. Lithium or cesium combined with fluorine, for example, assuming you could keep them from spontaneously reacting. Among commonly available chemicals, magnesium and KMnO4 are certainly a powerful combination. More esoteric oxidizers like PtF6 or XeO4 and strongly reducing metals like Ca or Ba (not stable in air) might have the most energy of any binary combination.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 09:34

Quote:

Also haven't you ever heard the phrase "spelling/punctuation police are virgins"

To put in bluntly: Grow the fuck up. And learn some chemistry. You complain that other people have no clue what they're talking about, but you're equally clueless. And you know why? Because you're all too fucking stupid and/or lazy to learn some chemistry.

This thread is now closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top