Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anonymous OTC Urea Nitrate?
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 07:42
Anonymous OTC Urea Nitrate?

OTC Urea Nitrate substituting muriatic acid 34.5% and ammonium nitrate for nitric acid appeared on this forum courtesy of anoymous and posted by polverone.Has anyone had the opportunity to verify the synthesis?

[Edited on 1-7-2008 by grndpndr]
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 08:14

Where could I find the synthesis?

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 17:41

I found it in the archives but if your unable to find it I have a copy but I would have to type it out and PM/post it as I have no way to scan it into my computer.Posted 23/2/2003.

It ia a simple synthesis but its AN greedy 790gr but it allegedly produces 1 kilo UN

[Edited on 1-7-2008 by grndpndr]
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 13:06

Ive scaled down the AN/OTC synthesis and attempted a sod nit/SYN substitution based on molar weights/nitrogen content,Ive kept it no secret Im a shadetree experimenter so the answer may be obvious. I however found no difference in pysical appearance/reaction to deflagration,melting point tests I could discern.Being able to substitute a more available chemical than AN or nitric acid at least for me
would be a boon as literature seems to indicate a 75%-%50UN/25%-%50AN mix has greater blasting possibilitys Than either ANFO/UN alone. Not being banned for a potentially very stupid question that could be large plus for me as well as some others as an inexpensive blasting exp. a plus! Thanks anyone with input!

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by grndpndr]

-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 6-11-2008 at 12:28

Well, on the subject of AN/UN mixes... They DO work really well, have good 'blasting' power, and I only ever tried the 50/50 ratio using 500 grams of each one. They were intimately mixed and confined in a length of PVC pipe. I added in 50 gramn Al powder and the same on Sulphur powder. The S was mixed with the AN (S is a good AN sensitizer) and the Al with the UN. I added the Al and S to up the sensitivity, but taking no chances of a misfite I shot it with a 100 gram ETN/NG/Al (75/20/5) booster fired by a extremely large cap which was 2 grams HMTD and 5 grams ETN (I call that cap a #20). It was buried under a foot of earth which was damn and fired electrically. It shot mud EVERYWHERE and the earth 'shook' and there was a deep 'boom'. The crater was big, cant remember how big, I did not record that. So, in conclusion, yes, they do work.

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
WarPed
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-11-2008 at 16:00

I can confirm that the procedure works perfectly at what ever scale you would like. I subbed potassium for ammoniun nitrate and it worked fine. My charge usually consists of 75% UN, 25% AN, (powdered and mixed well) 5% 600 mesh alum powder, driven by a cap consisting of .5gm htmd with a 10gm etn booster. Make sure you have really good confinement. You can really move some earth with a few pounds.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 16:51

Thanks for the input I suspected from what tests I was able to perform the results using Sod nitrate were the same as from AN and the great return per batch a very big plus in blasting ops despite relatively low VOD.
Nothing sexy or exotic just a workmanlike blasting HE.And thanks for the tip about AL powder, my program for compatible chemicals is crude to say the least.If I were to ever consider manufacture of any HE for familiarity sake picric acid as a booster well isolated from the UN/AN/AL and MF or lead picrate cap.I would assume 10-15gr of PA would be the = of an ETN booster 10gr wieght..Lead picrate at present somewhat a mystery to me but as part of the family so to speak one of the 2 major precursors are already present.What i have read is its friction sensitiviy isnt great nor is its sensitivity to impact unusual.Det vel isnt great but should be more than adequate for picric acid.Obviously more research required on my part s to suitability for a detonator
or whether I judge it to sensitive similar to AP.Again much thanks for the input!
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2009 at 14:18

Relatively inexpensive/simple prep ANFO substitute.DHS one step forward 2 back.

[Edited on 18-5-2009 by grndpndr]

[Edited on 18-5-2009 by grndpndr]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 18-5-2009 at 09:51

Grndpndr, Clean up your posts! Your incomprehensible writing style is both annoying and insulting.

Next crap post will be deleted. No, not edited, deleted.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2009 at 13:32

Forgive an old soldiers occaisonal "annoying" and "insulting" posts.Unitentional I assure you although Im sure thats no excuse nor would be the fact its a possibility what I percieve as occaisonal lapses are caused by a service connected head injury.
My humble apologies to the membership,grndpndr.

Go To Top