Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemilumenescence
PyroRA
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2008 at 06:25
Chemilumenescence

Can anyone think of any Chemiluminescence reactions induced by readily available chemicals? I am sorry but glowsticks just won't do it. XD Like I mean like cheap, easy to obtain, non regulated by the American government, Chemicals that I can obtain or obtain its precursers for synthesis at a walmart or home depot, I mean anything that I can do within a budget of 10 bucks to get a friend of mines little brother interested in chemistry?
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 13-7-2008 at 13:40

Quote:
Originally posted by PyroRA
Can anyone think of any Chemiluminescence reactions induced by readily available chemicals? I am sorry but glowsticks just won't do it. XD Like I mean like cheap, easy to obtain, non regulated by the American government, Chemicals that I can obtain or obtain its precursers for synthesis at a walmart or home depot, I mean anything that I can do within a budget of 10 bucks to get a friend of mines little brother interested in chemistry?

A hypochlorite and 27% H2O2 will generate singlet oxygen which has a red glow (technically, the red glow is created by the collision of two singlet oxygen.) TCCA and Na-DCCA should work too. All of these chemicals can be found a pool supply, perhaps even walmart.

[Edited on 7-13-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 13-7-2008 at 15:03

Buy a luminol demonstration kit (or make some, which is instructional). These are made specifically for the purpose that you appear to have in mind.

Make sure to try out which ever route you choose in advance (several times) so that you know what to expect. For example, the singlet oxygen decay path does yield red visible light (and a bunch of NIR emission) but, it is subtle and requires high concentrations to be striking. High concentrations can get a bit frisky when they react and can yield noxious gas.

Woelen has a very nice write up on the TCCA/H2O2 chemiluminescent transition on his web site.

cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 13-7-2008 at 15:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
Buy a luminol demonstration kit (or make some, which is instructional). These are made specifically for the purpose that you appear to have in mind.

Make sure to try out which ever route you choose in advance (several times) so that you know what to expect. For example, the singlet oxygen decay path does yield red visible light (and a bunch of NIR emission) but, it is subtle and requires high concentrations to be striking. High concentrations can get a bit frisky when they react and can yield noxious gas.

Woelen has a very nice write up on the TCCA/H2O2 chemiluminescent transition on his web site.

cheers,

O3

Frisky demonstrations are perfect! It will inspire awe in the children; while simultaneously instill the desire to wield that power themselves. *giggles wildly* Make sure to dress for the occasion. And maintain a cool demeanor, naturally.

P.S. Why do you think rocketry is so popular? (And an effective inspirational tool.)

Ancillary: Consult the temple writings of the ancient Romans, they did the same thing--might also provide some interesting demonstrations, like the air-pressure-powered-fountain.

[Edited on 7-13-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery

Go To Top