Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Elemental arsenic from arsenate?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-7-2008 at 12:31
Elemental arsenic from arsenate?

I recently purchased a small quantity of Na2HAsO4.7H2O, which was a spare chemical from an old lab. I tried to see whether I could get elemental arsenic from this, suspended in water.

I really did not succeed. I had the impression that with suitable reductors, one could get a precipitate of elemental arsenic as a flocculent brown/black precipitate, but whatever I try, I simply do not succeed. Not with borane-based reductors, not with milder reductors like sulfite and not with hypophosphite.

Finally, I have thrown zinc metal to acidified aqueous solutions of the stuff, yes, I even dumped some solid NaH (80%) in a solution of the stuff (I did both of these outside, with wind from behind, just in case some AsH3 is formed besides the H2). But even then, not a single sign of elemental arsenic.

It is possible to reduce aqueous solutions of arsenate to elemental arsenic, and if so, what procedure should be used?

[Edited on 14-7-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 14-7-2008 at 12:36

http://www.esemag.com/0101/ferric.html

H2S seems to be indicated as a suitable reducer, perhaps in the presence of a ferric salt.

Though, I wonder if the NaH2 in the original compound is somehow interfering with your other reducing agents. Perhaps oxidizing the compound first, then attempting to reduce the arsenate.

[Edited on 7-14-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2008 at 12:53

Would reduction to arsine (by, for example, acid and zinc) followed by thermolysis to arsenic count?
You ought to be able to get a visible mirror. Getting enough to do anything with might be more difficult.

I think reduction by borohydride to arsine is practically quantitative- it's used in "hydride generation" AA spectroscopy.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2008 at 13:41

It appears that what you have is an "acid salt", and so maybe you should try neutralising it with NaOH, producing Na3AsO4. This may reduce easier? Perhaps try using H2S as suggested?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2008 at 20:47

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWarrior4444
H2S seems to be indicated as a suitable reducer, perhaps in the presence of a ferric salt.

Forms arsenate or sulfides, not the metal.

Traditional method would be to mix (as dry materials) your Na2HAsO4 with sufficient bisulfate or NaH2PO4 to combine with all the sodium to form the free arsenic oxides, add excess carbon over that needed to reduce the oxides, heat to redness in a test tube with a long tube of rolled up thin iron sheet inserted in it and loosely stoppered with cork or metal foil. The arsenic distills off and condenses on the interior of the rolled up iron sheet, when cold the sheet is removed and unrolled and the arsenic brushed off of it. You can use a glass tube, but it's harder to remove the arsenic.

The sulfide or oxides can be reduced using ammonia at a temperature that cracks the ammonia into nitrogen and hydroge, again the arsenic will be in the gas phases.

Copper will reduce acidic solutions of arsenates, forming a thin grey film on the copper. Iron tends to form arsenides or mixed sulphides if sulfate is present. http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~nikos/asrt-brochure.html

Electrochemical methods can be used http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14504635
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-7-2008 at 00:26

I tried adding Na2S to the solution. No reaction is visible. This is in strong contrast with antimony, which gives a yellow precipitate of antimony sulfide or thioantimonates.

Making arsine and then decomposing that is not something I want to do, I value my health too much. Apparently there is no simpe aqueous method for precipitating arsenic?

ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 15-7-2008 at 01:02

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Making arsine and then decomposing that is not something I want to do, I value my health too much. Apparently there is no simpe aqueous method for precipitating arsenic?

Perhaps a bit of electrochemistry is in order. I wonder if there are any patents for plating arsenic, or at the very least refining it into a spongy deposit.

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 15-7-2008 at 02:22

Dithionite is supposed to work. But then so is hypophosphite, but in hot conc. HCl. The same conditions for SnCl2, which definitely works. That one goes back a long ways:
http://www.nature.com/nature/about/first/chemistry.html
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2008 at 02:55

Aha, but how would you purify the arsenic containing some stannic oxide, without having to dissolve it again? Stannic oxide does not dissolve in anything AFAIK, but molten akalies.

[Edited on 15-7-2008 by Jor]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-7-2008 at 09:09

S.C. Wack, your tip of using hypophosphite in hot conc. HCl is the magic key to arsenic :)

I did the following:
- dissolve some As4O10 in conc. HCl. This takes a fairly long time of careful heating and occasionally swirling the test tube.
- add some solid NaH2PO2 to another test tube with conc. HCl. A white suspension is formed, most likely this is due to formation of insoluble NaCl in the concentrated acid.
- dump all of the second test tube (excess hypophosphite is used) in the first one, and carefully heat. After some time a brown/black precipitate is formed.
- add a lot of water. Any of the white solid now quickly dissolves, the brown/black As remains in the liquid as a solid.
- let the solid settle at the bottom, and decant almost all of the water. Pour new water on the solid and let settle again. Repeat two more times.

In this way, I obtained a suspension of rather pure arsenic in water. Whether I let it dry, or use this for further experiments, I have to decide on yet. I only have 100 mg or so, I do not want much of this toxic chemical.

The method with hypophosphite is much better than the tin(II) based method. With tin(II) one always gets tin(IV) in the mix, which is not easily separated, as correctly mentioned by Jor. With the hypophosphite all other products are water-soluble and hence can be removed more easily.

[Edited on 15-7-08 by woelen]

Go To Top