Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My world has been rocked: magnetic rocks!
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2008 at 14:00
My world has been rocked: magnetic rocks!

It's chemistry....loosely...

I keep a good supply of rare earth magnets scattered all over hell's half acre because, well, we should. Last night #2 had tossed some on the floor, and I casually picked them up and set them on the granite countertop. I felt a mild, strange, but unmistakable tug.

So, out of curiosity I let my wife yabber on about something while I tried to see how often the installers had put in a screw. I quickly came to the unnerving realization that the magnets weren't finding mounting screws. They were attracted to these iridescent black patches in the stone that based on a appearance I had assumed were mica.

I've seen loadstone magnets, and hematite, but these chunks aren't them. What could this be? The granite is green, the magne-chunks range from .25" to 1" in nominal sized blobs, and there are gold flecks in the material. The magnetic bits are black with a milky bluish iridescence.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2008 at 14:56

Those iridescent black crystals in the polished stone slab are almost certainly magnetite, Fe3O4, which is ferromagnetic. If the stone slab is GREEN, it certainly would not be granite (or diorite or granodiorite), which is various shades of red, pink, and light to dark grey. The green color is most likely to indicate an ultra-basic rock composed mainly of Fe(II) and Mg silicates, like peridotite, olivine, dunite, serpentine, fayalite, etc., which (along with basic rocks like basalt and dolerite) often contains opaque crystals of magnetite. It may possibly be jade, although the latter does not normally contain crystals of magnetite, or have a macrocrystalline or a porphyritic texture. Do you have a photograph of it?

[Edited on 17-7-08 by JohnWW]
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2008 at 05:27

I don't but I can get one.

SO!!!!!! If what you are saying is true....this material could basically be used to smelt out high silica Iron!

That of, course, being the holy grail in the search for true, honest to Betsy, wrought iron (as opposed to high purity mild steel).
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 18-7-2008 at 01:09

it`s possibly Marble, it comes in Many colors and is popular for kitchen counter tops and bathroom suits etc...

this maybe helpful:

"The characteristic swirls and veins of many colored marble varieties are usually due to various mineral impurities such as clay, silt, sand, IRON OXIDES, or chert which were originally present as grains or layers in the limestone. Green coloration is often due to serpentine resulting from originally high magnesium limestone or dolostone with silica impurities. These various impurities have been mobilized and recrystallized by the intense pressure and heat of the metamorphism."

note the irons oxides I put in caps.

quote taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)

Go To Top