Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old aniline HCl?
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 08:48
Old aniline HCl?

A few years back I purchased some "Aniline HCl" off a guy un the UK. Now this stuff arrived in a HDPE bottle i opened it up to find it filled with a dark green crystaline powder. Now on close inspection there is a chrome green crystaline powder with the odd larger flat colourless crystal mixed in. Now I never used it and put it away. I had totally forgotten about it until I needed some aniline. I thought I'd buy some fresh then thought "wait don't I have some Aniline HCl?" so I find this jar after many years and I investigate the contents. It dissolves slowly in water to yield a green solution addition of hydroxide makes it all dissolve and an oily dark liquid separates on top of the hydroxide and a peculair "organic" smell is noticeable, not amine-like at all.

Does anybody have any idea WTF I have got? I thought maybe a phenylhydrazine salt? perhaps some azo compound? I'm happy to give people a sample if anyone can identify it! In the mean time i'll shop around for proper freebase aniline!

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
matei
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 09:07

You should try to distill some of the liquid. My guess is it's aniline. Aromatic amines aren't very stable in time, they tend to react with the CO2 from the atmosphere. Also, pure aniline doesn't have an "amine-like" smell (assuming "amine-like" means ammonia-like, which is what low molecular weight aliphatic primary amines smell).

[Edited on 19-7-2008 by matei]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 17:55

I would say that your material is quite pure.

Aniline and its salts rapidly darken in the presence of light and oxygen but the impurities formed are less than a few per cent.

What do you want to do with it?

Aniline does not have an amine smell at all to me. Aniline is quite insoluble in water so separating out on addition of hydroxide is also quite reasonable.

A definitive test is adding a solution of potassium hydroxide to the amine salt with a few drops of chloroform. Phenyl isocyanate is formed, it pongs...

[Edited on 20-7-2008 by ScienceSquirrel]
Ritter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 18:22

Quote:
Originally posted by matei
You should try to distill some of the liquid. My guess is it's aniline. Aromatic amines aren't very stable in time, they tend to react with the CO2 from the atmosphere. Also, pure aniline doesn't have an "amine-like" smell (assuming "amine-like" means ammonia-like, which is what low molecular weight aliphatic primary amines smell).

[Edited on 19-7-2008 by matei]

You can't distill amine salts. They usually will decompose. It's usual to convert them into the free base, then distill those.

Ritter
=============================
\"The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.\"

Karl Marx
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 20:42

Purify the suspect cpd. in the usual way for aniline and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel
Aniline is quite insoluble in water

Merck copy/paste: One gram dissolves in 28.6 ml water
Quote:
Originally posted by Ritter
You can't distill amine salts.

And neither matei nor anyone else was proposing to do so.

If you take a few milligrams of an aniline salt and dissolve it in several ml of tap water with several milligrams of NaOH or KOH, and add to this a few drops of a filtered solution made from several milligrams of calcium hypochlorite pool sanitizer dissolved in several ml of tap water, or other hypochlorite bleach, you turn water into wine within seconds - the solution is purple by reflected and red by transmitted light. Probably not a good specific test just for aniline itself, especially if other cpds. may be present which also give highly colored oxidation products, but it is quite a sensitive one.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 11:03

Thanks for all the replies!

Ok I put 13g of the aniline HCl and 2.5g of NaOH in a flask added minimum water it heated alot (obviously) dark oily tarry liquid floated ontop clings to glass. Added xylene (wash bottle at hand) dissolved something as the layer turned purple/red. The aqueous layer was slightly cloudy and a green (?) layer between the xylene and water. In hind sight I should have tried ether as that dissolves aniline well and is regularly employed to extract dissolved aniline in steam distilates.

I wanted the aniline to make iodobenzene from so clean aniline is preferable since these impurities are probably going to be a problem to remove from the iodobenzene (speculation). I suppose a steam disilation from hydroxide is needed really. Should I try a Sn/HCl reduction first though? Any thoughts?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 11:27

You'll almost always end up with black, awful looking product when working with aniline. There was a prep posted quite a while back about iodobenzene from aniline. The product was....a black oil and required distillation, yet provided high yield.

EDIT: I can't seem to find it...this was over a year ago. Perhaps I was just remembering Garage Chemist's references to his own preparation...anyway here's him quoted

"I ran this reaction without the slightest problems, and isolated a good yield of iodobenzene.

The reaction (benzene diazonium chloride + KI) needs to be left to stand for about 24 hours, it doesn't hurt if you leave it to stand even longer.
Then it is slowly warmed to 50°C and held there until the nitrogen evolution has ceased entirely.
The iodobenzene separates as a black very heavy oil. If your batch was small it might be hard to see. Tilt the beaker, or decant most of the supernatant."

[Edited on 7-21-08 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 14:00

I would suggest dissolving your salt in dH2O, washing the solution with an adequate solvent, then freebasing and extarcting with a low boiling solvent. Remove your solvent and it should be pur enough for a diazotation.

A good test to determine priamry, seconday and tertiary amine with easily obtainable materials is the nitrous acid test (basicly performing a diazotation).

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 16:32

I would dissolve the aniline HCl in water.

Extract with a solvent to remove tars etc

Add NaOH and extract the aniline into solvent

Extract the solvent with dilute H2SO4

Cool and diazotise

React with KI and then extract and distill the dark oil.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 13:50

Thanks, I didn't think of attempting washings! It appears form a quick trial that washing an aqueous solution of the crude aniline HCl with ethyl acetate results in the removal of the green contaminating chemical, giving a clear colourless aqueous solution. I'm unsure if free-basing and solvent extraction of the aniline then washing out of the solvent with acid are necessary steps, just seems like I'd be back tracking and risking oxidation of the free aniline which is more unstable than the salt?!

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 13:58

It depends on what you want to do next?

You have a clean solution of aniline hydrochloride in water.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 14:12

I want to diazotise and react with KI to yield iodobenzene.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 14:53

I would take a look at the preparation you are intending to use and adapt it to use aniline hydrochloride instead of aniline as the starting material.

Pretty easy really :cool:
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 15:49

You'd need to use HCl (HCl + NaNO2 in the cold) to diazotize anyway so you'd make the salt as it is.

[Edited on 7-22-08 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem

Go To Top