Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction with stomach acids?
cobrasniper555
Harmless

Mood: A pretty good mood!

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 18:43
Reaction with stomach acids?

I've been wondering for a while about the events that happen when an individual ingests a pill or some form of medicine. Is the medicine, the result of what you ingest and stomach acids reacting or the actual medicine run through and put into the blood or whatever its purpose?

It's just a question that's been in my head for a while and I'm not a doctor nor plan to be one.

Thanks!
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 21:06

One way or another, the medicine is absorbed, either in the stomach or intestine. Chemicals like water and ethanol are readily absorbed by the stomach. Many medicines are alkaloids, which react with acid, forming a water-soluble salt. Many may be supplied in this form, since it's nonvolatile. In this case, there will be no reaction with stomach acid. Both forms may be absorbed, the salt because it's water soluble, or the free base because it's lipophilic (the intestine, thanks to bile salts, is excellent at absorbing fatty substances, like fat).

For the most part, most medicines are absorbed from the gut, more or less unchanged. So, what happens when someone ingests a pill is, very little in most cases.

Your question is so general I can't really answer much better.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
cobrasniper555
Harmless

Mood: A pretty good mood!

[*] posted on 26-7-2008 at 20:25

12AX7, that helped! Haha, your answer can't any more clear! ;)

If pro is the opposite of con, shouldn\'t Congress be the opposite of progress?
-------------------------------------------
\"The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem.\" - Milton Friedman

Go To Top